VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
521 - 540 of 670 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
How have I missed this!

AWESOME

i dont get the location of the oil filter. Looks a little too easy to spill oil all over the clutch
Nah, if it does spill on the clutch, there's something seriosly wrong, lol!

All the 993's (including the turbo) have 2 oil filters. One is near the bottom of the oil tank in that very same location. The other hides behind the right rear wheel.

In the 993 engine, Porsche added an additional oil filter on the 993 engine to provide extra filtration of the oil for the protection of the hydraulic lifters. "Zee Germenz!!"

My second oil filter lives here, by the oil fill

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #526 · (Edited)
OK, fine....

..I was going to surprise you guys with the pics of a clean installation, but I pulled the trigger on the Mac. I got it used, for $750. No scratches (poor photo). I'm putting the Becker up for sale.

Here it is..

I'm going to take the little silver trim pieces off the side, so that it blends into the dash better.

Thanks, x(why)z! It was a great suggestion, and yet another example of the fact that many ideas for my projects have come directly from TCL member's posts.

Perhaps down the road, I'll add some speakers that can match this unit's superb sound quality.
Right now, it's mostly about the right look.

·
Banned
19,761 Posts
I love this car.

Been subscribed since day one, keep up the amazing work.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #530 ·
No disrespect, but hardwood floors and drywalls probably not the best listening environment?
It's true, but the rest of the room has enough soft stuff, like the sofa, love seat, etc to pretty well make up for it. I actually installed a large sound trap one one end of the room, and wound up returning it because I thought the system sounded better without it.

Sometimes I throw a sheet over the TV set. Dampening the area between the speakers makes a subtle, yet more pleasing difference than the sound trap IMO.

Here you see the sheet..

Speaking of Hi Fi, the Mac head unit for the Porsche is only a pre amp. I had to get one of these...

I got a nice price on it from Canada. Brand new it lists for $1299 (even on EBay). Got it for $779

http://www.khf.ca/index.php?id=70&p=product&parent=1

I'm going to add a nice pair of Focal speakers. Going for the K2's. Coaxial is the way I'm going to go. I don't want any more holes (for tweeters) in my RS door panels.

·
Registered
22,327 Posts
I'm assuming the thermostat is a good idea to ensure proper oil temperature and avoid "over-cooling" of the oil?

I might have missed it but what brand is the thermostat? Earl's?

·
Banned
10,283 Posts
I'm assuming the thermostat is a good idea to ensure proper oil temperature and avoid "over-cooling" of the oil?

It works the same as a water cooled car. Until the oil is warm it doesn't flow through the cooler and once it does warm up the t-stat opens and then circulates to the cooler at the front of the car. That t-stat looks like a factory part.

Thanks... I was aware of the Pegasus fittings, but it looks like in those pics the hose ends are threaded directly to the t-stat. :confused:
Try this, http://208.109.215.220/files/kits.pdf from http://www.batinc.net. The t-stat fittings are 30mm x 1.5

·
Registered
22,327 Posts
It works the same as a water cooled car. Until the oil is warm it doesn't flow through the cooler and once it does warm up the t-stat opens and then circulates to the cooler at the front of the car. That t-stat looks like a factory part.
So it's the same part as the 930's use or any of the later Carrera cars with the factory coolers?

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #537 ·

Uh.. sorry.. Lol!! "earl" is slang for "oil" in my neck of the woods :laugh: I should have elaborated on that.

The thermostat is a (911/930) Porsche part, as other posters have just addressed.

The "earl" or "oil" lines are stainless steel braided hose. Same as factory, but with a synthetic outside coating for aesthetics.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #538 · (Edited)
So it's the same part as the 930's use or any of the later Carrera cars with the factory coolers?
Indeed, but it's a bit of a trick piece...

Is that t-stat an original piece? What did you use to adapt the hose ends to the metric threads of the t-stat?

:beer:
Glad you noticed! It's a custom. They actually welded male AN fittings onto a 930 thermostat. The bottom one is a 45 degree fitting to ensure the line won't kink as it makes a bend.
They are AN-16 fittings.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #540 · (Edited)
Man, at this point, if it weren't for the fact that we already put holes in the RS door panels for speakers, I would have just done away with the sound system all together. The Becker not matching was such a dissapointment.

I hope the McIntosh looks right. Unfortunately, it's a preamp and the manual expressly says to only use it with a McIntosh amp. Had to invest in that too. Then the speakers needed to be upgraded. Yeesh :( !!

521 - 540 of 670 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.