VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
MK4 Jetta TDI Malone tune straight piped big brakes and dirt
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here I am ripping the interior out of my 2003 jetta TDI and I find quite the contraptions under my carpet. There’s two circuit boards, and antenna, a box in the trunk, and three buttons on the plate by the ashtray. it seems to be hooked up to where a cd changer would be.

Does anyone know what this is for?
Hood Automotive lighting Office supplies Cable Gas

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fixture

Circuit component Product Blue Passive circuit component Electronic instrument

Circuit component Blue Bag Hood Automotive lighting

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component
Hood Automotive lighting Office supplies Cable Gas
Circuit component Blue Bag Hood Automotive lighting
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fixture
Circuit component Product Blue Passive circuit component Electronic instrument

·
Registered
289 Posts
i think that box in the trunk could be for high to low signal conversion for a sub, or an aux adapter for the changer or aux input. Who knows what those other circut boards could be, maybe old mp3 player integration or phone or something like that idk.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The USA SPEC box is a device you could use to connect your portable music player(or other player, which I'll lay out in a sec) through the CD Changer input on your factory radio.

The smaller circuit board looks like its an IR receiver for a remote control.

The larger circuit board is a three button board. Most likely play pause start.

If I were a betting man somewhere down the line someone had a DVD player, because the thick gray cord is a VGA connector, common on monitors at the time.

·
Registered
1999 Golf GTI 2.slow, 2001 Golf GTI 1.8t
733 Posts
USA spec box is an aux to CD changer adapter.

The brown circuit board is a dc to dc converter. Most likely a 12v to 5v circuit to power the green board.

Green board is a bluetooth audio receiver. Someone soldered a custom db9 connector which leads to 3 custom buttons beneath the radio. Antenna is for the Bluetooth chipset.

·
Registered
MK4 Jetta TDI Malone tune straight piped big brakes and dirt
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes perfect sense. The brown board has a PC type power supply connector, the db9 goes to the three buttons and the other board (the three remote buttons are wired to the bigger board)

Is there another creative use for this setup now that I have a modern nav radio in the car?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts