VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped buy the local park and sell and found a Mk2 Jetta 1990. The mileage I couldn't read cause it wasn't written well and the tec was not visible. But the it said $1200 obo. I had what looked like a badge that said "CARANT" on the back and was a blue charcole color. And of course the clear coat was gone it was just the flat paint, the interieor looked like new. But I knw knowthing about MK2's and whats good and whats not. I was looking more for a GTI but I found this and it caught my eye, so can all the pros and people that know something more than I do please inform me about what I should do, should I pick this thing up or let it float by and wait for somthing better?
Here are some pics to:

And

And of course it needs some TLC
Help a dubber out
-Chris

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
$800 - Good deal
$1000 - Better be hella clean and solid mechanically
$1200 - There better not be another MK2 for sale for at least 300 miles.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Re: Found this today is it worth picking up? (MrTopher)

I would take it for a test drive if you can. If it needs TLC, then figure another $500 or more to get things fixed. It looks clean though. The Carat version was the 'luxury' model, with pretty much power everything, but unless there has been maintenance, you are not likely to find many of the power functions still working. But it is a good price, just from looking at it and from what you are describing...I would find out what issues it has first.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Found this today is it worth picking up? (SimonH)

Keep them coming, what motor, the 1.8 8v or did this thing have a little more juice?
And info would be good info! I think I might give this guy a call, and see if he has gotten any offers and see what the mileage is.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts

1.8l 8v is all shes got. Its basically a GLI without Recaros and the 16v. Heavier than a regualr GL and slightly faster than a diesel, but thats it

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Re: (GLI_16vee)

Quote, originally posted by GLI_16vee »
the carrot model has rear headrests http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Carat.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Re: (vwtoys)

it looks good, but I am sure that you could get the price on that lower.
$1200 for a stock MK2 is pretty crazy. Especially when it doesnt look minty fresh (wait, that color is kinda doublemintesque)

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Found this today is it worth picking up? (Aaron_91)

Quote, originally posted by Aaron_91 »
1.8l 8v is all shes got. Its basically a GLI without Recaros and the 16v. Heavier than a regualr GL and slightly faster than a diesel, but thats it

So it would be ideal to wait for a GLI pop up around some place, or a sweet little GTI with a 16v? I'm not really looking for some thing heavey. I want something light and quick!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

i was playin around with "carrot".
you should wait for a 16v....
you will be happier later

·
Registered
38 Posts

Looks like the car hasn't been wash for at least 3 months.
The bumper is in "dry" condition. Maybe it has been sitting in the lot for a very long time.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts

It depends on how many GLIs are around your area, if they're fairly rare you wont be able to get a good price. If you could knock a couple hundred off the price and use that difference to swap in a 16v, then go for it, then youll almost have a GLI

1 - 13 of 13 Posts