VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend's dad has a fox, my friend says its RWD. I think its FWD. Which is it???? I know the engine is longitudinal, but I still thought it was FWD. Please someone answer my question. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: Fox argument! (VWGTIRCR)

You know, it should be pretty easy to locate the driveaxles and answer this question on your own, shouldn't it?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Fox argument! (jwarner801)

It actually wouldnt because I've never seen the car. and the dad drives it all the time, hes never home.
You didnt quite have to be so rude.
Thank you very much everyone who helped. So every single VW Fox is FWD? my friend says hes done burnouts, and hes drifted in the thing before, could swear that its RWD. I told him he was wrong.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: Fox argument! (Evilclown)

Quote, originally posted by Evilclown »
Yep, FWD. I get the same thing all the time. "I didn't know VW made a RWD car!"

Tell them, "of course, they did! Beetle, Ghia, Transporter, Vanagon, Type 4, Thing..."

·
Registered
31 Posts
Re: Fox argument! (jwarner801)

I get people all the time ask if it's RWD, just by looking at the motor, hell, my next door neighbors sat there for 30 minutes w/ me and argued ( OVER MY CAR ) that it was RWD, I said fine!...
Jacked up the car, made them crawl underneath and see the half-shafts going to the front wheels and NO DRIVE-SHAFT going to a rear-end...that I supposedly had..
Stupid mother fawkers, don't argue w/ me over my own ***** man...
SHEESH!

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Re: Fox argument! (Jimbo70)

Quote, originally posted by Jimbo70 »
Could he be confusing a VW Fox with an Audi Fox, or where those FWD as well?

FWD also.
There is no way in hell its RWD.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Fox argument! (HiJinx)

Thank you very much everyone! You guys just won me $20! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I didnt think VW made a WATERCOOLED RWD vehical. Correct me if Im wrong though.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Fox argument! (Coolwhite Fox)

those are AWD not RWD though...Oh well, still did forget about them. Thank you

·
Registered
1,854 Posts

The old Vanagon transporters has 'wasserboxer' motors in the back. RWD, water cooled. But they look NOTHING like the engine you'd see under the hood of a Golf or Fox.
I seem to recall reading in VW Trends back in the late 80s about someone who dropped a Rabbit Diesel motor into the back and got 40 MPG out of one of those things.
Oh, and I think the Caddy was RWD. But I could be wrong there.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: Fox argument! (Ol' Grey Fox)

Quote, originally posted by Ol' Grey Fox »
The old Vanagon transporters has 'wasserboxer' motors in the back. RWD, water cooled. But they look NOTHING like the engine you'd see under the hood of a Golf or Fox.
I seem to recall reading in VW Trends back in the late 80s about someone who dropped a Rabbit Diesel motor into the back and got 40 MPG out of one of those things.
Oh, and I think the Caddy was RWD. But I could be wrong there.

Yes, the Caddy is FWD. There was a Vanagon diesel as well. 40 MPH is impossible in a Vanagon, though. It would burn at least 30 MPG if it were full electric.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Re: Fox argument! (TeraFox)

Quote, originally posted by TeraFox »
40 MPH is impossible in a Vanagon, though. It would burn at least 30 MPG if it were full electric.

As stated, I'm remembering an article last read some 15 years ago. But I do recall that it was a pretty astounsing figure for a van to be getting. It also had a bit on taking the beast across the Great Plains and noting that going west was all uphill as only Vanagon owners and bicyclists can say for sure. Perhaps that figure was on the way east? It's honestly been too long and those mags are many years gone for me to say anything definite. But that opens up the possibility of someone doing a TDI (or VR6) conversion with one of those old beasts and scaring the natives.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: Fox argument! (Ol' Grey Fox)

Quote, originally posted by Ol' Grey Fox »
But that opens up the possibility of someone doing a TDI (or VR6) conversion with one of those old beasts and scaring the natives.

I met a Vanagon diesel owner who stated his average MPG as 30. His was in excellent tune. Anything is possible, but 40 MPG in a Vanagon seems quite remote.
I have personally seen a VR6 Vanagon and a Porsche 911T powered bus. Other interesting engine options are 5-cyls. In South Africa, the Vanagons just recently stopped production. They had been built with inline 5s. Those parts are very desirable for the American Vanagon owners. A turbo 5 or a TD 5 would be nice. That way, a Vanagon would be much more safe to drive. As-is, they just don't have the power to get out of their own way.

·
Registered
559 Posts

Quote, originally posted by VWGTIRCR »
my friend says hes done burnouts, and hes drifted in the thing before.

You can drift any car with enough speed. I've drifted my car right off the track
The fox is great at burnouts with all the front end lift you help but to do them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts