Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The n00b thread...

Post the answers to our constantly asked questions here.

This applies to EVERYONE , myself included: This is not the place for conversations, opinions, bickering, etc. This thread is to answer Frequently Asked Questions.
Posts not adhering to the aforementioned regulations will be deleted at will. You've all been warned.

[Modified by Coolwhite Fox, 12:50 AM 4-4-2003]

·
Registered
464 Posts
Re: The n00b thread... (Coolwhite Fox)

Ya know...I was just reading through the A2 FAQ and thinking "hey, there should be a Fox FAQ"...heh-heh. Synchronicity?
I've started on a list of cross-model parts swaps, if that helps. It may need some editing, though, as I'm, not certain the info is all correct, though it's mostly all pulled from threads here...I'll see if I can throw it up somewhere, rather than posting it all here, then going back for edits. I've also got a big ole' sheet of comparative tire sizes I can stuff up on the same page.
As to add some actual info
...the universal O2 sensors p/n's:
Bosch (universal) - 3 wire - with knock sensor (doesn't apply to Foxes)
part # 13913 (short wire)
part #13953 (long wire)
Bosch (universal) - single wire
part # 11025 or 11027 - no knock sensor

later edit: required reading for us n00bs
edit #2: as has been pointed out to me, the knock-sensor info is kinda unnecessary, as the Fox hasn't got one. I initially snagged the # for the sake o' the Jetta, so it's just extraneous info.
CF

[Modified by CrackFraggle, 4:04 PM 1-28-2003]

[Modified by CrackFraggle, 6:42 PM 1-29-2003]

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

OK, I'll start the FAQs and answers:
Q: What engines will fit in the Fox?
A: Any 8V engine from any watercooled inline four engine will bolt right in. A 16V requires a custom downpipe and ignition swap: the 16V distributor is located in the back of the head, not in the block like the 8V engines. If your donor engine is not an Audi 3A, it needs a pilot bearing installed. Any chimp can do this.
Addendum: I have access to a removed 1.8T, and will report back on whether it has _exactly_ the same mounting brackets. I believe it does, but this thread is about _answers_, not speculation.

[Modified by TeraFox, 3:10 AM 2-10-2003]

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: The n00b thread... (TeraFox)

Q: Who makes springs for my Fox?
A: Nobody does anymore. You can get coil overs from
http://www.srsvw.com
http://www.ground-control.com

I have now ordered a set of SRS (Shine Racing Service) coil overs, and will report on their effectiveness. Eli is the guy to deal with, as he has built a few coil over sets for the Fox.
NO, they are NOT LISTED. They have to be custom. You can find used Neuspeed springs occasionally, or cut your existing springs.
Addendum: some on this list are working on fitting springs from other cars. Others, please post your DEFINITE conclusions that you have PROVEN YOURSELF. This thread is about answers, not conjecture.

[Modified by TeraFox, 4:15 PM 2-7-2003]

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

Q: I hate my seats. WHat VWs have interchangeable seats?
A: Quantum, Audi 4000. If you want others, like A1, A2, A3, you must narrow the seat tracks. I have now done this on a set of Corrado seats. Louis has fitted late model Passat upholstry directly to his Fox seat frames. Modifying the seat tracks can be as easy as hammering in the tracks till they are 18" wide instead of 18.5-18.625" I opted for cut-and-weld. It's a little more elegant than a hammer.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Addendum: I have access to a removed 1.8T, and will report back on whether it has _exactly_ the same mounting brackets. I believe it does, but this thread is about _answers_, not speculation.[HR][/HR]​

The 1.8T block was made from the castings for the original 1.8, so yes, it's identical to ours. The brackets are mounted differently, but all the original mounting holes were cast into it as well. From that standpoint, it's as straightforward a swap as any other VAG 4-cyl.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Re: The n00b AKA Salty D thread... (Evilclown)

The 1.8T is not identical: it is a new casting. This much I know. Since this thread is for answers only to FAQs, I don't want to discuss it here. The engine probably does have all the right thread bosses, but I want to put my own hands on it, and not rely on what seems reasonable. My impression of the purpose for this thread is to provide proven, concrete answers for questions, right? If I am wring, then let's discuss. Ian? Am I right or wrong?
You would be right. This isn't a discussion thread here.

[Modified by Coolwhite Fox, 1:35 PM 1-31-2003]

·
Registered
2,643 Posts

Wheels:
Put on anything that you want. If you want to up the post **** count, make it a survey.
Then ignore the replies.
And buy stock in cheap tires. And be prepared to cry when a Fox with regular rims blows by you in the curves/straights.
But get a big smile when the Ms. Spears look alike sits in your passenger seat.
LP

·
Registered
2,643 Posts

Brakes:
Front: 10.1 Scirroco or Audi brakes. Take a ruler to the yard.
Rear: 3 track racers I know keep stock drums. Wagon drums are bigger, but in all reality, pad material is what makes a difference. OF course, the rear discs are available off of GTI's, and may help the above Ms. Spears lookalike into your car.
Steering wheels:
The stock steering wheel has waaay to many problems with inadvertant honking. After research on this, I found on my car the culprit to be the center pad. Go with a 4 button model, fun to play with, and better constructed. Plus, if you get the GTI center pad, sweetie may actually believe it, and that is all that matters, right? I also love the Corrado wheel. Just get one before 92, as somewhere they went to a bigger diameter shaft. Unless you are more technically advanced than 90% here, just trust me on this. If you are advanced, get a 15/16 (or 24MM) socket take the nut loose a few turns, and pul the wheel, with the nut still on. Keeps it from hitting you in the face. Takes, oh, 10 minutes.
Shocks:
I veer from the norm here. well, everywhere. But rule of thumb is to go with the best you can get. For interesting combos, buy front inserts for an Audi 4K and rears for an A2/G-60. The PHAT chick will dig the bouncing, trust me. The same reason that they REALLY like Harleys.
Springs: Don't wait for us to figure it out, or get off of your lazy duff and figure it out yourself. Cut them, 3 coils per corner. Then sell the car.
Ground effects: See "springs". Although lots of people do a front air dam, from various souces: An A2 2 piece upside down. A S-10 pickup. Anyone with big ones? I ave seen lots of S-10s over the years with really wicked looking aftermarket bumpers. The rear wing, I wish I had my other computer out of storage. kamei made a universal that I like, and someone has on sale for like $50.
I'm just getting warmed up here, but I gotta do some things today, like set up my 1-900 number for anyone who wants to be called an idiot, and be verbally abused. I will become a millionaire off of this one.
LP

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

Q: What is the Fox?
A: It is a Fox.
The Fox, Gol, Parati, Saveiro, Voyage, Gacel do not share a platform with any other VW. They are not Audi 4000s, nor are they a Quantum, Dasher, Audi Fox, Jetta, Golf, Rabbit, Scirocco, Passat, or anything else.
The Fox bears a striking resemblance (from certain angles) with the Quantum and Audi 4000, but there are myriad subtle differences in chassis and suspension construction. Overall, the Fox is most similar to a late model Quantum, having approximately the same rear axle and very similar front suspension. The Audi 4000 has the same strut housings, but a completely different rear axle, more closely resembling the Audi Fox's rear end. All this is to say that the Fox and its aforementioned Brazilian brethren stand alone in the VW world.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

Q: What can I do to the cosmetics of my Fox?
A: Not a whole lot over the counter stuff exists, but here are some options.
First, Autobahn front and trunk spoilers existed. I have spotted the occasional trunk spoiler in JYs.
As for adapting stuff from oterh cars, you have a few more possibilities. A Chevy Blazer/S-10 chin spoiler is a good fit under the Fox's front bumper. Ian scored a set of Quantum fender flares that will be a pretty good fit if he ever gets around to installing them. These will require some screws and a little work, but the look is correct.
I am not one for cosmetic stuff, so that is about all I know. Anybody with more info, please IM me, and I will add your info to this post, rather than make multiple posts on the same topic. This thread is supposed to be user-friendly.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

Q: My Fox is making this problem. What do I do?
A: Look through the history of this forum. Chances are you are not the first to experience your problem. The benefits to checking the history are: for you, you get your answer right away, and for us, we don't have to answer the same question again. If you don't find the answer, then start a thread to get your answer.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Sturt tower braces- useless?
Perhaps, perhaps not. The front strut towers are close enough to the firewall to not have the same inherant uni-body flex as a MK1, but they still flex, and it couldn't hurt to stiffen them up.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts

My bumpers/trim is not black. Used back to black, forever black, Mothers stuff. Spent a fortune, what to do??
After years of research, I go with this recipe:
3M makes a spray adhesive remover that I am using now. Put on according to instructions to get off all the old reside. Worked well. Stiff nylon bristle brush can help.
Kiwi black leather shoe dye. Repeat: dye. Not polish. Tape off everything. Buy 3 or 4 rolls of good masking tape. Apply dye. Go "Wow, that is nice". If this is good enough, then fine. In my case, I did a circular motion with the dye.
Plasticote bumper paint. Optional is a clear primer, did not help me, but was cool to try. JP reminded me of this product, and I have found it to be OK, as long as the base is black. Thereby, the dye makes black, the bumper paint really brings it out. And I think it is more sturdy. And it eliminates the swirl marks from the dye.
All products bought from my friendly WalMart. 3M in the automotive paint section, along with the good masking tape. Shoe dye by the -duh- shoe section. Plastikote paint also in the automotive paint section.
Has lasted since Oct 2002, and no ill effects yet. WARNING: may make your tires look really dull. Along with the rest of the paint.
Also have heard that the dye for dying dashes and plastic stuff should work, but have not tried that.
LP

[Modified by 92foxrox, 9:16 AM 2-10-2003]

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: The n00b thread... (92foxrox)

'91 & up taillights in '90 & older cars:
It can be done, but they will leak. The older lights have 4 mounts, and the newer ones have 3. You need to remove/bend the outermost two mounts, and slide the new lights in. You also need to change the wiring a little.
End result:

Modified by Coolwhite Fox at 9:43 PM 7-6-2003

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote »
First, Autobahn front and trunk spoilers existed. I have spotted the occasional trunk spoiler in JYs.

Quote »
As for adapting stuff from oterh cars, you have a few more possibilities. A Chevy Blazer/S-10 chin spoiler is a good fit under the Fox's front bumper. Ian scored a set of Quantum fender flares that will be a pretty good fit if he ever gets around to installing them. These will require some screws and a little work, but the look is correct.

Front Q flare:

Rear Q flare:

The whole she-bang, including the side skirts that you need to fill the gaps:
The skirts need to be cut down to fit.

S-10 lip:

Modified by Coolwhite Fox at 9:46 PM 7-6-2003

·
Registered
2,643 Posts

Heater core blew: What to do?
Print off the pertinent info off of this link:
http://mach.mach-nine.com/gti/vwtechcontent/vw/96circ.htm
I think it is on page 5 that says VW will replace heater cores for free, regardless of mileage or if it had been done before.
I just paid for my heater core to be done, and want a refund: I thin kthis is covered under page 7.
Customer service VW America (my case, useless, told me the campain I know about never existed):
1-800-822-8987

National Highway and Traffic Safety people: these are the guys to put a complaint into if the dealer gives you heat/won't do the recall. Look for complaints under this site:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm
LP

[Modified by 92foxrox, 11:32 AM 2-13-2003]

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.