VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i'm running 90/100s in my single round grill. of course i need to relay them so that i can preserve my switch and the wiring. now i hooked up the relays properly t30=batt, t87=to headlight, t85=ground, t86=from switch. now the relays are 4 prong but i don't think that it should matter. the problem is that when i switch the lights on the relays switch on but when i turn the switch off the lights stay on
i have to disconnect the relays for the lights to go off. both high and low beams do this. why is this and how can i fix it? help please!!!!!

·
Administrator
87,858 Posts
Re: freaking relays....HELP!!! (euro GTX)

quote:[HR][/HR]bad relays what do you mean??? would they fuse together when they are on???[HR][/HR]​
Bad relay meaning it could be defective...
Or not rated at amps that you need. Shouldn't it be rated at 30A???
I'm not sure...but relays have been known to get freaky quite often.
Later,

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: freaking relays....HELP!!! (weedeater1)

they are 40A relays. we switched them out with some other ones and still the same problem. even when the headlight switch is pulled out with the lights on they remain on. what's the deal. thanks for the help so far. keep it coming.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Could there be a short between 87 and 86? Do these relay's act normally in other places?
There are such things as 'latching' relays. They work exactly like this.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

how would i tell if it is a latching relay??? and how would i check if there is a short between the posts?? the thing is that we tried it with other relays and the same thing happened.

·
Registered
22,318 Posts

I've experienced this on a genuine Hella relay. On the van we drive at work (a Peugeot) we installed a set of 'Hella Rallye 3000 Blue' aux. highs. With 100 watt H1 bulbs, these puppys light the night into day (the van is driven 200 kms every night). One night I was at work, I had the highs on. A car was coming opposite of me, so I hit the switch to go to lows. But these big'ole lights stayed lit. The car coming opposite started flashing like crazy, I hit the light switch to try to get these bad boys to shut down, but no go. I had to pull the power to the relay to get them to shut off. I believe moisture had something to do with it. And when I think of it, it happened to the fogs on moms Vento as well. I was washing the enien bay, and suddenly the fogs came on. The relay got soaked in water!

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: freaking relays....HELP!!! (PerL)

alright another kink. when i pull the headlight switch out from the dash and disconnect it the headlights still stay on. what's the deal?? do you think that the po could have monkeyed around and freaked something out. it was a previously drl car but they aren't hooked up and there is no yellow wire running into the engine bay.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts

Maybe you should check the wire you are using to trigger the relay and your grounds. If you check with a volmeter or test light, the wire you use to turn on the relay (headlight wire) should have 12V when the light switch is on and 0V when off.
Double check your setup looks something like this............(30 and 85 can be swapped)
Pin 30 – 12v (from battery)
Pin 85 – Ground
Pin 86 – Trigger Wire 12V (From parking light)
Pin 87 – Output 12V (to headlight)

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

alright i have everything hooked up the way that it is supposed to be. if i pull the trigger wire from the switch off of the relay the headlights stay on.
figure that one out. i just spent 2 hours trying to fix it but i'm stumped. the only thing that i can think off is to rewire the car. oh wait the stupidest part is that if i just connect the wiring back to they way that it was before the relays everything works fine.
i can't take this anymore. i hate electircal demons. that's why i sold my 16v rabbit. frick.

·
Registered
358 Posts

sounds like you hooked up the relays right (looking at the first post) so try some other "freaking relays". You are only switching about 7amps to each bulb, so it's not like you're pushing the relays to their limits.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: freaking relays....HELP!!! (sjaswal)

ya i know that. the relays have been swapped with another brand and some different ones of the same brand. i think that the po must have piggy backed some other circuit into the headlight circuit. what do you think? i think that's the only way that this can be happening.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts

I run my relays a little different from you guys, I have a really crappy acronym to remember it by
Old Girls So Horny
this means
30 - Output (to device)
85 - Ground
86 - Switch (to turn on device)
87 - Hot (constant +12v)
Try flipping your hot and output

·
Registered
358 Posts

There's a possibillity of the piggy back issue. If this is the case that would mean the output of the relay is connected to the headlights and something else (switched power source). The outputs should only go to the lights - personally I would have new wiring to the lamp from the relays that way you know there's no piggybacking. You've already said if you take the control signal off the lights remain on - so there's probably no problem with your control signal (?).
So the only power wire going to your lamp should be the wire from the relay and a ground and not your existing harness unless you've cut it from the factory wiring. did that make sense?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.