VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: free maintenance? (vedubau)

Quote, originally posted by vedubau »
VWs no longer include service. I'm not sure on when it stopped, but I think it was after 2002. I have an '01 that included scheduled service

Does schedules maintenance HAVE to be done by a dealership? Or can I do the fluids myself, pick up an OEM oil filter, and have Jiffy Lube do the rest without any warranty issues coming up?

· Registered
2,085 Posts
Re: free maintenance? (hackataq)

Legally! You should be able to do the maintenance yourself, have another shop, or have the dealer do it and still be covered by the warranty. However, you must be able to prove the services were done, so keep your receipts! But I have had difficult times with warranties over the years when I did the maintenance, because dealers make alot of their money on service. They will often find something not done right to show improper maintenance

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Legally! You should be able to do the maintenance yourself, have another shop, or have the dealer do it and still be covered by the warranty. However, you must be able to prove the services were done, so keep your receipts! But I have had difficult times with warranties over the years when I did the maintenance, because dealers make alot of their money on service. They will often find something not done right to show improper maintenance

That's good to know. Thanks
Is there anything in the 10k service that a dealership could easily say was "improperly" done later on? I mean, it's just an oil change, fluids check, tire rotation, and brake check. You'd have to be pretty incompetant to screw any of that up...
In short, should I just have someone else do the 10k service on the cheap, and only use the dealership for the more important checkups (i.e. the 20th, 40th, etc.)?

· Registered
2,085 Posts

I wasn't implying that the maintenance isn't done right, but a dealer might say it wasn't done right. A story to explain my point:
I had a problem with a car about twenty years ago that I bought as a demo. It was on the lot for about 14 months and had 1,400 miles on it. About a week after I bought it I checked the oil and it was about two quarts low so I topped it off. I changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles and at about 48,000 mile I spun a rod bearing. I had a 50,000 mile powertrain warranty and the dealer declined the warranty due to abuse and that the Fram oil filters were also to blame because the didn't have a pressure relief valve like most OEM spin-on filters. I know they didn't cause the problem...if anything it was while the car was on the lot! But arbitration was a joke and I didn't have the resources to fight it!

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I wasn't implying that the maintenance isn't done right, but a dealer might say it wasn't done right. A story to explain my point:
I had a problem with a car about twenty years ago that I bought as a demo. It was on the lot for about 14 months and had 1,400 miles on it. About a week after I bought it I checked the oil and it was about two quarts low so I topped it off. I changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles and at about 48,000 mile I spun a rod bearing. I had a 50,000 mile powertrain warranty and the dealer declined the warranty due to abuse and that the Fram oil filters were also to blame because the didn't have a pressure relief valve like most OEM spin-on filters. I know they didn't cause the problem...if anything it was while the car was on the lot! But arbitration was a joke and I didn't have the resources to fight it!

Along those same lines then, If I top off the washer fluid myself, buy an OEM filter and VW approved synthetic oil, have Jiffy Lube or whoever do the oil change and tire rotation/balancing, it would be pretty difficult for VW to say something was done wrong (and save me about $100 in the process)?

· Registered
04 R32. Mk4 imola GTI with 3.2 swap v
9,148 Posts

or you could still send it to the dealer and ask for the 5k service (oil change, top off fluids).....they seem to up the price every 10k.......i believe its 40k before they change sparkplugs and air filters----or ask them to itemize the services and tell them what you want and dont want

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.