VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.lacar.com/modules.p...d=277
"Just when you thought you've heard the last possible perk for hybrid vehicles (so far, you've heard about tax incentives, single-occupant use of the HOV lanes, and smog check waivers), Los Angeles Mayor Jim Hahn and Councilmember Eric Garcetti announced a new one: A proposal to make parking at city meters free for hybrid vehicles.
...'Initially, hybrid owners will not need to do anything different to take advantage of the policy' says the Mayor. 'Parking enforcement officers reportedly will be trained to recognize hybrid vehicles and will simply not cite owners of such vehicles for not paying at parking meters,' according to Hahn."
Any Vortexers in LA with a hybrid want to test this out?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Re: Free metered parking for hybrids in Los Angeles (Sling Shot)

wow....I hate LA. It is cool that they are trying to do something, but it is totally empty. Instead of making a mass transit system on par with NY and trying to preserve the natural habitat with natural parks they just say hybrids are exempt from meters. Pretty weak.
I'm not saying those things will solve any problems, I am just pointing out that their ideas are fruitless.

Modified by toyotagardner at 8:46 AM 7-14-2004

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Re: Free metered parking for hybrids in Los Angeles (16volt)

Hey, anyone want some JDM Prius/Civic Hybrid badges??
They work good on Navigators and H2s!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
On the other hand, here's a case where the Prius IS giving something valuable (as opposed to some of its positively trumped up MPG stuff)--an incredibly low emissions car. If you can honestly say you've been to Los Angeles and don't think that the place would be better off if there were a lot more zero emissions vehicles, then I think you're kidding yourself.
Is this the way to do it? Probably not (mass transit was mentioned in a previous post). Are there other ULEV that should be afford this perk? Probably. But in this case I think there's a case for giving some perks out (reducing emissions in the greater Los Angeles area...)

Modified by John_Keats at 1:44 PM 7-14-2004

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
Re: Free metered parking for hybrids in Los Angeles (Sling Shot)

I suddenly see a good market for "Hybrid" stickers. I can see thousands of LA SUV drivers putting them on their vehicles to try to fool the meter maids... er excuse me, "parking enforcement officers." For the more sporting con artist... I could make "Hybrid Type R" stickers.

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
Re: (John_Keats)

Quote, originally posted by John_Keats »
On the other hand, here's a case where the Prius IS giving something valuable (as opposed to some of its positively trumped up MPG stuff)--an incredibly low emissions car. If you can honestly say you've been to Los Angeles and don't think that the place would be better off if there were a lot more zero emissions vehicles, then I think you're kidding yourself.
Is this the way to do it? Probably not (mass transit was mentioned in a previous post). Are there other ULEV that should be afford this perk? Probably. But in this case I think there's a case for giving some perks out (reducing emissions in the greater Los Angeles area...)

Modified by John_Keats at 1:44 PM 7-14-2004

New Hybrid vehicles (Civic & Prius) are PZEV rated....Insight & old Prius are SULEV. Why not include every other car thats the same rating in this exemption?
2004 vehicles with PZEV
Honda Civic GX
BMW 325Ci, 325i, 325i Wagon
Chrysler Sebring sedan
Dodge Stratus sedan
Ford Focus LX, SE, SE Wagon, ZTS Sedan, ZTW Wagon, ZX3, ZX5
Honda Accord LX, EX Sedan
Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0L
Mazda 3
Mitsubishi Galant DE, ES 2.4L
Nissan Altima 2.5, 2.5S, 2.5SL
Nissan Sentra 1.8, 1.8S
Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Sedan/Wagon, L Sedan/Wagon, Outback Sedan/Wagon
Toyota Camry LE, SE, XLE
Volkswagen Jetta GL, GLS 2.0
Volvo S60/V70 2.4

·
Registered
693 Posts
Re: Free metered parking for hybrids in Los Angeles (Volkscience)

Quote, originally posted by Volkscience »
I suddenly see a good market for "Hybrid" stickers. I can see thousands of LA SUV drivers putting them on their vehicles to try to fool the meter maids... er excuse me, "parking enforcement officers." For the more sporting con artist... I could make "Hybrid Type R" stickers.

"Hurry, Hurry - Get Your Hybrid Badges Here"

·
Registered
12,988 Posts
What about diesels? Do they get anything special??

·
Registered
853 Posts
Re: (PokeyD16Z)

Quote, originally posted by PokeyD16Z »
New Hybrid vehicles (Civic & Prius) are PZEV rated....Insight & old Prius are SULEV. Why not include every other car thats the same rating in this exemption?
2004 vehicles with PZEV
Honda Civic GX
BMW 325Ci, 325i, 325i Wagon
Chrysler Sebring sedan
Dodge Stratus sedan
Ford Focus LX, SE, SE Wagon, ZTS Sedan, ZTW Wagon, ZX3, ZX5
Honda Accord LX, EX Sedan
Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0L
Mazda 3
Mitsubishi Galant DE, ES 2.4L
Nissan Altima 2.5, 2.5S, 2.5SL
Nissan Sentra 1.8, 1.8S
Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Sedan/Wagon, L Sedan/Wagon, Outback Sedan/Wagon
Toyota Camry LE, SE, XLE
Volkswagen Jetta GL, GLS 2.0
Volvo S60/V70 2.4

Right, that's exactly what I was suggesting. The only reason that makes sense in LA is for emissions reasons, so if you're going to do that have it for all vehicles with extremely low emissions or better yet to vehicles with SULEV... Which ironically leaves out the current Prius (thanks for that info, I didn't know it...)

·
Registered
36,917 Posts
Re: (91JettaTurboDiesel)

Quote, originally posted by 91JettaTurboDiesel »

No, as seen in another thread, the TDI puts out 20 times as much polution per mile as a Prius.

·
Banned
4,566 Posts
Re: (AZGolf)

Quote, originally posted by AZGolf »

No, as seen in another thread, the TDI puts out 20 times as much polution per mile as a Prius.

According to archaic EPA guidelines.

·
Banned
4,566 Posts
Re: (AZGolf)

Quote, originally posted by AZGolf »

No, this was according to an actual tailpipe test from Automobile magazine. See NOx test results: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1482050

And they based that on achaic EPA guidelines that say NOX is pollution rather than CO2, which is why a 9 mpg V10 Excursion can be considered a "low emissions vehicle" while a 50 mpg TDI is a polluter.

·
Registered
22,512 Posts
Re: (91JettaTurboDiesel)

Quote, originally posted by 91JettaTurboDiesel »

Diesels are already special here in CA. There are no smog checks for them, meaning you can stuff any engine you want into them and never have to go for inspection

G

·
Re: (PokeyD16Z)

Quote, originally posted by PokeyD16Z »

SULEV is better than PZEV, right? Isn't the current Accord four-cylinder SULEV rated, as well as the Nissan Sentra CA?
And am I reading this correctly that a Civic Hybrid or a new Prius puts out the same amount of emissions from the tailpipe as, say, a Dodge Stratus?

G

·
Re: (bgluckman)

OK, answering my own question...
I just read that PZEV exceeds SULEV in terms of cleanliness. I'm not sure where that original list came from, but it appears that's a list of 2004 SULEV cars, not PZEV cars (since both Nissan and Hyundai list the Sentra 1.8 and Elantra 2.0 as SULEVs on their website).
That said, the Nissan Sentra 1.8 with the California Emmissions package is PZEV. So what makes, say, the Prius, so much radically better or cleaner than this car?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.