VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Re: freedom design cai (wolfsburg88)

Quote, originally posted by wolfsburg88 »
Does anyone have the freedom design cai---how do you like it--does it sound like a normal cai?

I have it, but for my 12v VR6. The install wasn't too bad, but I had to remove the battery box housing and cut off the side of the box with a utility knife. You really wouldn't notice that the side was gone by looking at it though.
As for the sound, it's normal as far as I know. If I give it some gas, it's a loud Suck/Growl and it sounds hot when you really get on it. I don't know how it would sound on a 1.8t, but I don't think it would be bad at all.
I picked it because I didn't want to have to deal with any hydrolock during heavy rains. Everyone will tell you that you don't have to worry about it unless you are submerging the car or using it as a "submarine" but trust me things can still get wet.
Last Thursday it was raining like a mofo near where I live and there were huuuuuuuge puddles that you couldn't avoid at all, as they covered the entire road (damn slow drainage). When I finally stopped and had a chance to look under my hood, there was quite a bit of water all over the place - if the CAI had been down in my bumper like most others, I guarantee I would have sucked up some water. Would it have made its way to the engine?? I'm not sure, but I'd rather be a bit safer than sorry.
Just my $.02

1 - 3 of 3 Posts