VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
friday was a good day but monday is gonna be better

ok first off ill tell the beginning of the story. about 9 months ago i found a 84 vw rabbit gti at johns auto wreakers in eureka and took some body and suspension parts for my rabbit pickup. at the time i didnt realize how rarea a rabbit gti was(rabbit gti was only made in 83 and 84 but was a huge hit). and about a month and a half ago i found a rabbit gti for free down in fresno. and about a month ago me and my parents went down to get it. i have been looking for parts for it for about a month and i went back to johns auto today for the first time in about three months and asked if they had any early 80s vw. the guy said it was an 83 and in the very back of the yard. i went back there and about **** myself when i saw it cus it was a white 83 rabbit gti that was in really good shape. i ran back into the office and asked the guy if he would sell the whole car and he said he couldnt but he could sell me parts off of it. i told him i want alot of parts and he said $200 and you can take as much as you want but leave the shell and vin #. we agreed on monday for me to come and take what i want. so monday i get to spend all day gutting a rabbit gti. i hate to part it but id be pissed off if i let it get crushed. basicaly im sacrificing one condemned gti for another one.

Modified by vwabbitman at 6:31 AM 10-29-2006

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: friday was a good day but monday is gonna be better (vwabbitman)

spent 5 hours at the junk yard today and i got alot of stuff. heres some pics of it when i was done and of the parts i got.

the seat in the bed of my truck acctually stayed in there the whole 35 mile drive home.

the engine tranny and front suspension will be pulled tomorrow.
if anybody wants a chin spoiler and front fender flares let me know cus i wanna sell them

·
Registered
413 Posts

Heh, if you're able to take as much as you want, you should probably just take everything that is possible to remove. If he told me to leave the shell and VIN that is exactly what I'd leave him, just nothing else. You never know what you'll need somewhere down the road, plus you could always sell certain parts and make back some of that $200. I had a 68 Impala parts car back during this summer, and I stripped that thing of EVERYTHING, even the screws and bolts. I then proceeded to make a $1000 dollar profit on the parts I sold. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
844 Posts

any of that carpet door cards rear cards rear carpet for sale? I'm interested in them if they are and how much for the front fender flares?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Re: friday was a good day but monday is gonna be better (zubzero2)

At least take the fenders and cylinder head, fuel pump.
If that front valence is any good, cut it off. Some day those 83-84 gti valences are going to be worth a lot of money on here.
I'd also take the fuel tank and filler neck tube. Also cut the sheet metal around the filler neck tube.
Edit: I see you are taking the engine.
Man, there is so much good sheet metal on that car. If he won't let you take the shell whole, drill out all the spot welds and take it out panel by panel.

IM sent I would really like to have those fenders! And some of the sheet metal on the rear arches. I have $$.
Thanks,
RJ
Modified by rabfan at 9:13 PM 10-30-2006

Modified by rabfan at 9:18 PM 10-30-2006

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the rear interior might be for sale. the rear door cards and side carpet definantly but not yet.
i should have taken the fenders but i barly had room for what i took. and i didnt have any thing to drill holes with or cut sheetmetal with.
isnt the fuel pump the same as a normal rabbit.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts

DEFINITELY nab that laundry basket.

Good find, bro. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
wow, im amazed that the car is in there! it looks mint!

·
Registered
45,139 Posts
Re: (-teknien-)

lol...even took the front plate with you...

sorry to see such a nice gti parted, but if its gonna save another, Its all good...

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: (definition56)

NO the rims are gonna replace my teardrops that are on my gti now. that is if i like the way it looks with them. and if i dont like the look then im still gonna keep them.
i like the ones that are on my truck so i figure if i dont like them on my gti then they can be my extra set for my truck.

Modified by vwabbitman at 1:26 PM 10-31-2006

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (twolitregsixty)

yeah i like it. its the original paint and its an 'original' paint. i have never seen one like it ever. when i get to getting it repainted its gonna be exactly the same as it is now.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: (nirav)

if you talking about not seeing any rust on my truck there is one rust hole under the rear window on the passenger side about the size of a dime. but if you are talking about the gti there was no rust at all. i really wish i could have taken the whole car but i couldnt. but if your talking about the gti being open it was a complete car when i started. nothing was missing other than the jack and lug wrench but i have about three of them sitting at home.

Modified by vwabbitman at 9:02 PM 10-31-2006

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: (vwabbitman)

went and got the engine, tranny and front suspension today. they where supposed to just drop it all out for me but i get there and they only had the engine in the shop. i had to go out back and find the car in the pile of cars getting ready to be crushed. three stacks in and sitting on top of the bottom car was the gti. tranny was on the floor and the suspension was still in the wheel wells. so an hour and a half later i had my engine tranny and front suspension. got it home and started to get ready to take the head and pan off so my dad could look at the internals and tell me either to rebuild or use it as it is. im just gonna use it to get used to the 1.8 and have time to do what i want to do to the engine that i got with the gti.

·
Registered
11,806 Posts

I hope you take the fenders, dash and rear beam also. Hell of a deal for $200. To bad they wouldnt just sell you the complete car as it was. Would make it a lot easier to deal with.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: friday was a good day but monday is gonna be better (Cabby-Blitz)

Quote, originally posted by Cabby-Blitz »
I hope you take the fenders, dash and rear beam also. Hell of a deal for $200. To bad they wouldnt just sell you the complete car as it was. Would make it a lot easier to deal with.

i wish i would have but i could barly fit what i took off when i was there in my truck and trailer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts