VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone elses mk2 jetta catch fire. last night my friend was drivin to my house and he said he saw sparks comin from around the fuse box and then flames. next thing you know there was a fire under his dash.. cops came and fire trucks came to put it out.. i dont think its tottalled.. and he just wants to know how much it would cost to get the cars electrical all redone..

·
Registered
12,784 Posts
Re: friends jetta mk2 on fire (gtilimon)

defenitaly cheap....if your friends car is pre 90...now is a perfect time to upgrade to 90+ wiring which is all plug and play...u can go to a junkyard and pick up all the harnesses fairly cheap, if not call up 1800 VWPARTS...they'l send you out all the wiring you need for a failry decent price..somewhere in the $400 range i would say..probablly less...

·
Registered
5,437 Posts

Im really sorry to hear that. I had a fire in my Coupe a couple yrs back. Luckily the only thing that got burned was the fuel lines. The cause was I had a major oil leak and the oil was leaking onto the exhuast manifold.
But back to your friends problem. If it is a CE2 car I have an entire wiring harness including the fuse box FS if your friend is interested. And if he gets someone to redo the wiring im sure it would be quite pricey. I

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Re: friends jetta mk2 on fire (MyBlackGti)

Do you have a short shopping list of the stuff you need to pick up? I need to pull my dash soon, so I may as well do the wiring at the same time...
-s

·
Registered
4,950 Posts

last week i was on my way home after installing a turn 2 solid aluminum front motor mount(kicks ass BTW) then when i am getting on the on-ramp fallowing my bro (trying to hang w/the VR
) and all this smoke comes through my dash and vents. scared the $hit outta me becausae i thought my car was going up in flames, and i had only been 16 for 2 days to make things even better. pulled over and ripped off the knee board and center console, and found some melted heater wires, so my bro took out the heater fuse and a few others. now i have no heater
oh well, time for MK3 wiring
now i dont make fun of the people that have extinguishers in there car..........unless it's mounted on the A-pillar

·
Banned
2,329 Posts

sounds funny kinda
in the hyundai it keeps blowing fuses and sparks at times..
so we have ALL resetting fuses in there. it holds for now hehe but the guy at the shop said one day the whole electrical system wil fail and even may catch fire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts