VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Yup, I've just got meself a brand new Passat GLS Wagon AWD. This is my first VW. Frankly, this is the first time I've ventured off the Japanese auto section over to the European section. It's hard to believe I would trade in my Miata for a Passat Wagon. But, things happen in life suddenly...like life itself. She's five months old right now.
The 2004 Passats are selling right now at very low financing rates and negative dealer invoices. Can't beat that. I got the shiny gray-greenish one with the butter-colored interior. Okay, it's called Stonehenge Gray; and, the interior is just Beige. I understand that you're suppose to test drive the car before you buy it. However, I did nothing of that sort. I looked at it from the inside and out and kinda' figured out how it would drive. I came from a Miata. That means that most of the cars out there are big and heavy, have lots of room and quiet cabins. And, I was right with the Passat. The Monsoon sound system is great!
I have a question about the Tiptronic. At what rpm's do you or should you shift? It's no Honda V-TEC; so right now I shift between 3000-4000 rpm, or is that too low?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: From a Miata to a Passat (Eunos)

EUNOS!!!!! I remember you from the Miata forum (I'm kochel 191 when I post there). I still have the Miata AND a 2000 V6 Passat. Best of both worlds, and sometimes it's hard to choose which car to get into! The Passat won't take the twisties the way the Miata does, but my, oh my, is it nice at speed on the freeway.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Eunos »
It's no Honda V-TEC; so right now I shift between 3000-4000 rpm, or is that too low?

Right now, the car is not broken into properly so I wouldn't shift above 3000 rpm's for about 1000miles. Just shift according to traffic but again shifting too low you will feel the turbo lag. I live in Canada where people drive really slow, so I don't have to go past 3000 rpm but I do sometimes to let the car rip when the road is clear.

Congrats on your new purchase. You made a good choice! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: From a Miata to a Passat (1Point8TDan)

I recently made my first foray into Japanese cars when I bought my 1999 Miata. Once the engine is broken in, I'd suggest rev'ing it like your Miata. Re-reading your post makes me wonder what engine you have, however. Are you among the first AWD 1.8t's or do you have the V6? The 1.8 loves to run fast. Mine has plenty of horses up high.
Enjoy your new car, sorry about the Miata.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts

Congratulations on the new girl and new ride! You made a good choice- I'll be doing the same later this year.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I've had a 94 Miata and just bought an 04 passat.
One thing I'll mention that may spark some debate. I wouldn't limit RPMS below 3000-4000 RPMs during your breakin period. One issue that's sure to become a common theme as you look back in the archives is oil use on the 1.8 motor. Don't redline the engine, but don't baby the car either. I'd also suggest using the autostick to keep the motor in 4th gear on the highway some. It'll keep the motor running higher for a while.
One plus so far is I haven't seen the #1 cylinder plug & wire wear like my miata. I've got to say that around town, the miata was a much better car; but on the highway the passat wins hands down.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Re: From a Miata to a Passat (GPHAWAII)

I've always found that every VW I've owned runs better when I drive it like I stole it...

·
Registered
315 Posts

Unabashed sales opportunity? I do post here and do have a 2001.5 passat which I really like. I have to sell my beautiful 91 miata (with 66k miles) so I can store my 1960 Triumph TR-3. Can send pics of the miata.
Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts