VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
40,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What started out as looking for a newer used car to replace the 10 year old Prius that our son (17) mostly drives, quickly snowballed into a new, fun car for Dad (me!)

You can read the whole sorted tale here. https://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?5080-The-Car-Lounge&#/topics/9422903

Cliffs Notes: Originally I was very keen on a Corolla SE 6spd. Drove one, liked it a lot, under budget even.

Decided to test a new Civic as well. Sport trim sedan with the tried-and-true 2.0 K-motor. A straight up competitor to the Corolla SE. LOVED IT. This was the car. A bit larger, far better looking (imo) and with a bunch of features we really liked that the Toyota lacked, and still under budget. Only problem was no local stick shifts, and every attempt to swap one in was a dead end. I was looking at driving to Connecticut to get one, not ideal.

My dealership finally asked if I would be interested in an Si if they would deal on price... YES PLEASE! More money but still within the original budget and much more car in every way.

Again a few false starts to swap one in, but finally it all worked out and here she is!

This is my 3rd Civic, and 5th Honda, and by far the best. I asked them not to detail (pre-swirl) it so I’ll spend Sunday washing and waxing and making it gorgeous.

I can’t wait to start piling on the miles. MPG’s are reportedly excellent and I have a nice commute to work every day.

It’s so quick and I need to take it easy for break-in miles. The sound is lovely. Shifter is super snick-snick but the clutch take-up will need a little practice.

My only concern is those 40-series tires. Thankfully they’ve repaved a LOT of the roads in my area this summer that we regularly travel, but still.

Shoutout to the Prius, 10 years and 171k hard Vermont miles, through every weather. It never let us down. It’s been paid off for 5 years now and I knew that when the day came that it would need an infusion of upkeep cash, it would be time to move on. I’ve never owned any car for 10 years, but it was exactly what we needed when I became a stay-at-home-dad and freelancer in 2008.

Now that I’m back in the workforce and things are going well, we can afford a little splurge.

Thanks to TCL for being my car-shopping sounding board and for encouraging me not to settle.

More later, gotta get out and DRIVE!

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
So, so so so happy you got this and not the 2.0 powered sport sedan! congrats again!!!!!!!!!

yeah the rubber band tires suck when you have bumpy roads and potholes everywhere. I'd look into what OEM Honda replacements you can get with smaller wheels and fit some thicker tires over them to try and get the same overall tire+wheel size.

·
Premium Member
40,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
40,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am surprised by how well it rides, actually quite a lot smoother than the Prius.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Congratulations! The Civic Si has always been one of my favorites. There are essentially no sacrifices to it just doing "car" really well. This generation kicks it up a notch. But you still get the performance extras.

I played around with the idea of picking up a Corolla manual to do regular car duties. Can you comment on what makes the Civic the better compact car?

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
22 Frontier 21 C2S 16 A8 88 16v Scirocco
12,562 Posts
Congrats man!!! Glad it all worked out and now you have two fun cars to choose from!!!

·
Registered
22,257 Posts
Nice! Glad you splurged a little and got something fun. I'm going to try and do something similar for my next one and not be so skinflinty, though it will probably be a little truckier.

First mod should be a tiny HDMI sticker over the exhaust. :)

I am surprised by how well it rides, actually quite a lot smoother than the Prius.
IRS helps a lot since the whole rear end isn't jiggling around and side-stepping on mid-corner bumps.

I like these Si wheels the best if you downsize (or for winter)

·
Registered
36,391 Posts
F YOU.

Ok?
:confused: Umm.. huh?

Anyway, as for the transition from Prius to Civic Si, it sounds good to me. Honda's got a pretty darn good manual transmission and it's still a relatively economical car to own and operate. Plus we're not sure what the next Si might be like. We'd all like to believe there will still be manuals but it's also possible the next gen will go to DCT-only or something like that. It's good to keep the manuals alive and should bring many fun times.

Also, since it uses a mechanical LSD, I wonder if that helps it be even more sure-footed when the snow comes?

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
@AZ Golf @Sporin and I go way back. We occasionally swear at each other with tenderness.

·
Premium Member
11,750 Posts
So, so so so happy you got this and not the 2.0 powered sport sedan! congrats again!!!!!!!!!
Agreed 100%! There are upper and lower bounds on useful HP and the 2.0 is just outside of that IMO

Anyways congrats again on the car Sporin! Should bring you years of hassle free fun transportation.

1 - 20 of 224 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.