VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Does the Soul still Evoque happiness?

• Keep the Soul! It's fine and still under warranty!

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Get that Evoque. It exudes class and British reliability.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Sell everything. Can't go anywhere due to the pandemic anyway.

Votes: 9 23.7%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has had a 2011 Kia Soul ! from new, and I've been wanting her to get something new for a while, because different cars means more fun. She finally might be on board, bringing up that she wouldn't mind a used Evoque. Used models only a couple of years old with fairly low miles can be had for around $30k, which seems quite reasonable. Help me TCL, is this a good idea, or a great idea?

(Photos for example purposes only)

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,748 Posts
There is zero chance I would buy an evoke. No matter how cheap. The horror stories I hear about Land Rovers. Woof.

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,030 Posts
There is zero chance I would buy an evoke. No matter how cheap. The horror stories I hear about Land Rovers. Woof.
Horror stories as to the Evoque? Or horror stories to any Land Rover from the 90s through the early 2000's prior to Tata's control? Yes LR's reliability record is spotty at best, but I have not heard horror stories about the new stuff.

As to my own personal experience with the Evoque, its ho-hum. Maybe used it presents a good value, but new they were far too expensive for what the vehicle actually offered.

I think moving from the Soul is a great idea because quite frankly I don't know how anyone lives with one unless it's never driven further than 10 miles in any direction, but that's me. I would however recommend an offering from Lexus. My Fiance's 2012 CT200h has 60K miles on it and still looks and runs like new, we are not the first owners. My parent's previous Lexus' were also always trouble free. Given your wife's ability to stay in one car for 9 years, 9 years that I'm assuming were likely quite trouble free, I'd be looking to Lexus if the goal is to move to a premium brand.

·
Registered
44,070 Posts
My wife has had a 2011 Kia Soul ! from new, and I've been wanting her to get something new for a while, because different cars means more fun. She finally might be on board, bringing up that she wouldn't mind a used Evoque. Used models only a couple of years old with fairly low miles can be had for around $30k, which seems quite reasonable. Help me TCL, is this a good idea, or a great idea?

You're trying to talk your wife into another car, so when this car turns out to be expensive and require a lot of repairs it will be your fault. You do understand this, right?

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,748 Posts
Horror stories as to the Evoque? Or horror stories to any Land Rover from the 90s through the early 2000's prior to Tata's control? Yes LR's reliability record is spotty at best, but I have not heard horror stories about the new stuff.
Horror stories of people coming in to trade out of it because they have had it for 24 months and it has been in service 10 of those months. All for all sorts of different issues so there is no chance for lemon law.

·
Registered
19,729 Posts
The Evoque is garbage. Typical Land Rover junk. One of my neighbors bought a 2018 new and the windshield leaks. Land Rover keeps taking it back and saying they fixed it, but it still leaks when it rains. The Evoque was built to a cheap price point to cash in on that sweet brand cachet and this is what you got.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts

You're trying to talk your wife into another car, so when this car turns out to be expensive and require a lot of repairs it will be your fault. You do understand this, right?

Besides, the Evoque is not interesting or exciting in any way. It's got a British badge on it, that's about it. By all means, trade up from the Soul, but do it for something that's isn't a potential basket case and/or is actually interesting.

·
Registered
44,070 Posts
Now I'm trying to figure out of there's a project where Nathan Fillion and Morgan Freeman worked together. I'm coming up blank!

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
google Evoque and "transmission issues"

At least the ecoboost motor is reliable.

I don't hate all Rovers. Some are worth the trouble, if they are your thing. The Evoque doesn't bring anything to the table to justify the headaches apart from looks. The cargo and rear headroom is silly.

If I wanted a swoopy CUV, I'd look at the NX.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I don't have any Land Rover experience but I remember what a nightmare my dad's XJ6 was.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
As a Rover shop foreman I like the evoque. My wife drove a discovery sport (same engine and driveline as evoque) for some time and we didnt have any issues. We got rid of it out of lease. Some of the issues i see on higher mileage (and some still in the 4 year 50k warranty) vehicles with the same engine are turbos (we keep two instock at all times) and cam phasers (also keep in stock). The turbos in my opinion fail due to the high service interval (1 year, 16k miles). If you like the evoque go for one that is dealer certified and a 2017 for the better infotainment (although without software updates is a handfull).

from 2012 to 2017 the vehicle uses a 2.0 turbo 4cylinder from a bunch of ford models and you may find parts cheaper over at fomoco.

·
Registered
12,550 Posts
Ignoring the anecdotes about Jaguar/Land Rover products from 15+ years ago, I would still avoid the Evoque. Unfortunately this particular model has lived up to the JLR folklore and has had consistent issues, no matter the year, since its debut. PASS.

As to my own personal experience with the Evoque, its ho-hum. Maybe used it presents a good value, but new they were far too expensive for what the vehicle actually offered.

I think moving from the Soul is a great idea because quite frankly I don't know how anyone lives with one unless it's never driven further than 10 miles in any direction, but that's me. I would however recommend an offering from Lexus. My Fiance's 2012 CT200h has 60K miles on it and still looks and runs like new, we are not the first owners. My parent's previous Lexus' were also always trouble free. Given your wife's ability to stay in one car for 9 years, 9 years that I'm assuming were likely quite trouble free, I'd be looking to Lexus if the goal is to move to a premium brand.
OK, I think that's a bit harsh. The Soul is a perfectly fine econobox, which is why they sell extremely well year after year.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Having driven multiple evoque loaners (from my Range Rover days), I just hated the way it drove.

It had really bad turbo lag and you really felt the weight of the car which was surprising considering how small it was. You'd have to hit the pedal like a full 1.5 seconds early to get the right power.

Once they gave me a 2 door loaner and I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Cooler than the convertible which came out later. But I still hated how it drove.

Don't do it.

·
Premium Member
F82 Krautrocket
6,030 Posts
OK, I think that's a bit harsh. The Soul is a perfectly fine econobox, which is why they sell extremely well year after year.
In my mind an Econobox is used for 10mi dd type duties, but I'm the type of person who will sooner buy a basket case old european vehicle that has "soul" but frustrates me than purchase the econobox, so you can take my comment with a grain of salt. My only experience with one was when I got a ride back to Tallahassee (FSU) from Fort Lauderdale, a roughly 500 mile 7 hour drive. There were only three people, so we weren't on top of one another. But a highway vehicle the Soul is not. Loud, noisy, poor ergonomics, 0 design thought for sustained highway speeds or anything over 65mph. All of these add up to a vehicle I would never consider, but as I said in my initial comment "that's just me." Very clearly my opinion, not a fact. :beer:

·
12,738 Posts
I don't think I have ever heard anything positive about the Evoque. OP, you do realize you will effectively be burning that $30k if you actually bought one of these piles of junk right :laugh:

·
Banned
642 Posts
Women generally want something that first and foremost "just works". How about a Mazda CX5 if she's wanting something a little sexier this time around? Or better yet, just screen the unreliable stuff and have fun test driving a whole bunch of vehicles, and if its a mainstream one then see if you can also get it as a rental for a weekend. You need real butt-time to make a good informed decision. Personally, I kind of like the new Kia Soul Turbo too.

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
23,817 Posts
This. Anything less reliable than the Soul is going to cost you more than the repair bill.

Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
28,777 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
After driving a Rav4 for 14 years, a friend treated himself to an Evoque. When we told him he needed to use premium gas, he freaked out. When a light bulb burnt out and he went to the dealer for replacement, they tried charging him over $100.. He freaked out (He called a different dealer who replaced it under warranty). Around the two year mark, he debated trading out for Kona.

Not the best information, but I assume your Soul has been cheap to maintain. So if you are ready for some quirkiness that requires $$$ with your character, go for it :beer::laugh:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts