VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Does the Soul still Evoque happiness?

• Keep the Soul! It's fine and still under warranty!

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Get that Evoque. It exudes class and British reliability.

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Sell everything. Can't go anywhere due to the pandemic anyway.

Votes: 9 23.7%
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
I usually get the Evoque as a loaner when my RRS is in for service. Back in 2016 I actually had one for a month while my timing chains and supercharger were being "renewed" and I fell in love with it. First of all, I think the Discovery Sport is a hateful little SUV (I also get these for loaners) so I was not expecting to like the Evoque.

I was wrong. The entire character of the Evoque is great and it's definitely engineered and setup better than the Disco Sport. It drives really quite sporty - like a tall hot hatchback. Its playful and really awesome to drive. I don't know why people are critical. I have a lot of experience driving one, and the prospect of daily driving a Range Rover Supercharged each day and still came away very impressed.

Like all great cars, it's a vehicle that really grows on you and makes sense after spending quite a bit of "real" time driving it.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
New LR, old LR it doesnt matter they still have issues and you are looking at used. I have a good buddy from high school that is an auto wholesaler. He flat out doesnt touch anything in the LR line up because they come back with issues. Not worth his time. Way too many options in this segment to place money and trust in the Evoque.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,355 Posts
Here's what it comes down to: risk and your appetite for hassle. You have to ask yourself, how much of a risk an Evoque is to break multiple times during your ownership experience? Both anecdotal and more objective data seems to think that all LR products see the service department more than average. You cool with a car that has a high risk of needing to get fixed several times per year? The answer to that should be based on two things: cost and hassle. If you get a decent warranty to cover at least most of the time you plan to own the vehicle, money shouldn't be a big factor. However, you still need to take time out of your day to drop the car at the dealer, pick the car up, and deal with any potential BS from the dealer. Personally, I hate hassle, particularly with cars. I did a very brief search a couple years ago on the current LR Disco. After reading the LR forums for 25 mins, it was off the list. We bought a Jeep instead. After 1.5 yrs of ownership, it's had one thing go wrong and it was addressed at the same time as an oil change. I have no regrets.

If your Soul experience has been as good as my Tucson experience, I wouldn't touch a LR product with a 10 ft pole. Ok, that's a lie. I think I might give the Defender a chance, knowing 100% what I am likely getting myself into. And likely ending up selling it within 2-3 yrs of ownership. Luckily, I'm not looking to replace the Jeep.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
IMO, the best part of the Evoque is the interior of the second generation and the decent headroom for such a small CUV.

If you live in a cramped city, the second gen could be a maybe because the interior is a beautful place. I find the power delivery and handling to be mediocre for the price in either generation. I'd look at the next size up.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

When I worked at a VW dealer a few years ago an old friend (our kids played sports together) bought an Atlas and traded in his 5 year old Range Rover. Since he knew I was a "car guy" he thought I could hook him up because he took such good care of the Rover. It had 90k on it and looked absolutely perfect; black on black, not a single crease in the leather. Inside, everything worked. Service was done by the local dealer on schedule and was fully documented. I had to tell him that it needed head gaskets and cylinder liners, and the air suspension was failing. It was worth $1500. He took it to the local LR dealer and they said they's give him $1000. After his Atlas came in the Rover went to auction - twice - and got no bids. Eventually it was sold "as is" to a friend of the shop foreman who planned to do an LS swap...for $1500.

I realize you're considering an Evoque. Please refer to clip above.

·
Registered
12,550 Posts
When I worked at a VW dealer a few years ago an old friend (our kids played sports together) bought an Atlas and traded in his 5 year old Range Rover. Since he knew I was a "car guy" he thought I could hook him up because he took such good care of the Rover. It had 90k on it and looked absolutely perfect; black on black, not a single crease in the leather. Inside, everything worked. I had to tell him that it needed head gaskets and cylinder liners, and the air suspension was failing. It was worth $1500. He took it to the local LR dealer and they said they's give him $1000. After his Atlas came in the Rover went to auction - twice - and got no bids. Eventually it was sold "as is" to a friend of the shop foreman who planned to do an LS swap...for $1500.

I've never heard of a Range Rover needing headgaskets/cylinder liner unless it was a pre-2003 model or a Discovery. Interesting.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Do what we did. Look around for a used ML/GLE instead. Bigger, mature chassis/engine combo, no turbo to worry about and usually cheaper than the E class cars. We got a used one with under 30K miles for around $32K a few years back.

·
Registered
12,550 Posts
Do what we did. Look around for a used ML/GLE instead. Bigger, mature chassis/engine combo, no turbo to worry about and usually cheaper than the E class cars. We got a used one with under 30K miles for around $32K a few years back.
If the looks aren't an issue these are great buys.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
[/QUOTE]

Why won't car companies let you have the good combos together? Can't have 2 tone and a sunroof. Also, tiny sunroof on the Seltos compared to Evoque.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts

When I worked at a VW dealer a few years ago an old friend (our kids played sports together) bought an Atlas and traded in his 5 year old Range Rover. Since he knew I was a "car guy" he thought I could hook him up because he took such good care of the Rover. It had 90k on it and looked absolutely perfect; black on black, not a single crease in the leather. Inside, everything worked. Service was done by the local dealer on schedule and was fully documented. I had to tell him that it needed head gaskets and cylinder liners, and the air suspension was failing. It was worth $1500. He took it to the local LR dealer and they said they's give him $1000. After his Atlas came in the Rover went to auction - twice - and got no bids. Eventually it was sold "as is" to a friend of the shop foreman who planned to do an LS swap...for $1500.

I feel like you're skipping the 90k miles in 5 years part.. that's a lot for any car let alone a RR.

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I feel like you're skipping the 90k miles in 5 years part.. that's a lot for any car let alone a RR.
If anything that's worse. That many miles in 5 years are likely to be mostly easy highway miles. It also means a $100k car was worth $1,500 a mere 5 years later.

·
Registered
28,777 Posts
Meh, that's only 3k miles a year higher than average.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We had a 3 year lease on a 2015MY Evoque. It was a good car for a lease, but I would not buy one used.
It was my wife's car and she like driving it to work, but for basic family duty it was a pain in the ass. It was just too small inside and has a lot of wasted space (Center console is massive). On the outside it looks bigger that the Soul, but inside I would wager they are roughly the same. By the end of the 3 years the lack of room really became a sore point. That being said, the interior is really nice.
We never had any issues, but we only had it for 36k miles. However, even the normal services are crazy expensive, so pepper your angus! And the service departments of the two dealerships we tried definitely left something to be desired. I think they look down on the Evoque and Disco Sport buyers.
We replaced it with a CX-5, and the only thing we missed was the extra horsepower. Although, you can get the CX-5 with the 2.5T now, so.....

·
Registered
11,107 Posts
owned one and liked it but the transmission needed replaced, good thing I purchased it CPO and it went out before my warranty ended, I would suggest buying one but do so with a warranty for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts