VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get my calipers on my .:R powdercoated but to do this I have to completely break them down. My question is, is it possible to carefully break down the front calipers and then reuse the pistion seal ring again without having to replace it?
I can get rebuild kits all day long for the back ones for under $10 for both, but the front ones the only place I can find any parts for them is from a VW dealership directly. The only part they can get is the piston ring seal and they want a ridiculous $100 per side just for that.
Any help and info would be great thans!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Re: Front Brake Question (HeinousR32)

Seem to recall Ian saying one time that the calipers were on the old 5 series BMWs? Maybe that's a way in? Are they Girling? Maybe you can find them on the OEM site? I wouldn't dismantle them without replacing the rings and I can tell you don't really want to do that either.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Front Brake Question (robocopywriter)

Girling? Not familiar with that term. They are sandblasting and powder coating them so they need to have all rubber and plastic off cause they have to bake them at 400 degrees.
You are right. I dont want to reuse the old ones. I would just die if I smashed my babie up because of some stupid seal I had to reuse.
Thanks for the lead. Hopefully I can find a little more info. Do you know about what year 5 series bmw maybe?
I will try on 1stvwparts.com too. I think thats the oem site you are talking about.

Modified by HeinousR32 at 12:52 PM 1-9-2009

1 - 6 of 6 Posts