VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DO I have to unscrew all those screws on the underside of the bumper to get it to come off or is there a easier way?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Re: Front bumper removal (abadgti)

No, you don't have to unscrew ALL of 'em. (Thank goodness!)
When you look at the underside, you'll see a plastic piece that shields the underside of the engine bay, much like a poor man's skid plate. There are four screws that attach that plate and the bottom plate of the bumper cover together/to the car. Remove those, and you'll be good to go.
(My memory could be faulty, and there may be a couple more screws on the underside for the side splash guards, though. At least you don't have to unscrew aaaaallllll those other screws at the leading edge of the bumper cover.)
Mike

·
Registered
137 Posts
Re: Front bumper removal (abadgti)

Any experience with rear bumper cover removal? Besides a deep blue pearl R32, I have an '02 Golf GLS Tdi with a slight gouge in the lower rear bumper cover below the license plate. Imagine that most Golf IV bumper covers to be installed the same. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: Front bumper removal (mec_vw)

Nope, you're correct. Just installed hids and only had to remove the four holding the "skid plate." Now the screws in the wheel wells are a different matter. You've got to remove approximately 6-9 on each side, and then the torx screws on the front, and the bolts behind side grills.
Thank goodness I haven't had to remove the rear bumper yet!

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Re: Front bumper removal (R2-32)

Quote, originally posted by R2-32 »
Nope, you're correct. Just installed hids and only had to remove the four holding the "skid plate." Now the screws in the wheel wells are a different matter. You've got to remove approximately 6-9 on each side, and then the torx screws on the front, and the bolts behind side grills.
Thank goodness I haven't had to remove the rear bumper yet!

i say the more, the merrier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts