VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up a Jetta GLI in a few days and was just playing around with some ideas for the front. Leaning towards single rounds - but at this point, almost anything goes

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Re: Front end options for Jetta? (LilBlkCL)

I've been looking at the front of my jetta and wondering the same thing.
A glance at some 03 Worthersee pics is a great starter.
Possible options:
Stock just with euro bumpers or pushed in stock bumpers...maybe upgrade to bulb type front lights (some of these can be found in wreckers in other old euro cars, just take yours as a sample.

Euro grill and lights...by far the nicest in my opinion but also pricey and rare.

stock grill running mk2 scirocco euro lights...this is interesting as an alternative, think I saw pics of this from Worthersee..looked cool, same flush lights and grill of the euro but without having to change grills.

Bunny rounds...gotta change the front fenders, rad support/front panel, grill and lights...ouch...strictly4play is doing this to his girls jetta soon...ideal if the front fenders and rad support are crusty already.

Perhaps a mk1 rocco grill and lights? That would be different, haven't seen any of those yet.

And of course you have options like running big bumpers rather than wee-little ones..

Modified by Crazy Hungarian at 5:55 AM 6-29-2003

Modified by Crazy Hungarian at 6:00 AM 6-29-2003

Modified by Crazy Hungarian at 6:03 AM 6-29-2003

Modified by Crazy Hungarian at 6:07 AM 6-29-2003

Modified by Crazy Hungarian at 6:09 AM 6-29-2003

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Front end options for Jetta? (Crazy Hungarian)

Thanks for all the pics. I'm really liking the Euro-spec front, but after buying the car I'm sure there won't be any $$$ in the budget for that. But I need to change the front, I can't stand those little four lights. In terms of changing around the fenders and such, the body is in great shape, so I think I will hang onto those. Thanks for the ideas.

But there might be some money in the budget for these Passat wheels

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Re: Front end options for Jetta? (LilBlkCL)

Quote, originally posted by LilBlkCL »
Thanks for the ideas.

But there might be some money in the budget for these Passat wheels

I'm al little partial to that one myself...that was my old GLI (man do I miss that car)...I sold it so I could buy the yellow bunny. Fellow who bought it put on the euro lights (with city lights) and grill, dropped it on eibachs and added the passat mags...nice look, that's why he's smiling so much
...for some reason the jetta is better able to swallow a set of 205 50 15's compared to a rabbit. He was fortunate enough to have picked up the lights and grill in europe when he was last over there, saved on some of the cost over ordering them here.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Re: Front end options for Jetta? (stealthmk1)

I just bought the Scirocco 1 setup for my 84 Jetta. I should have it this week!!! Your friend have any trouble with the install? I love the look of the 4 rounds.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Re: Front end options for Jetta? (JamminJetta)

Quote, originally posted by JamminJetta »
I just bought the Scirocco 1 setup for my 84 Jetta. I should have it this week!!! Your friend have any trouble with the install? I love the look of the 4 rounds.

Please post some pics when you're done...I've never seen this look on a jetta before. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Re: Front end options for Jetta? (Crazy Hungarian)

sure will. I hope to get my setup in the next few days. Would love to install it over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Re: Front end options for Jetta? (euroroccoT)

Quote, originally posted by euroroccoT »
How do push the bumpers in?? I would really like to know, Thanks

Hmm,...don't know. But If your having a hard time sourcing a set of Jetta 1 euro bumpers then I would throw on a set of Golf 1 bumpers.

·
Registered
17,915 Posts

Well the ghetto method is to drill a hole in each shock absorber and then find the nearest concrete wall or telephone pole like this.
http://www.vwot.org/meetings/Mar2002/kk_18.mpg
Or you can drill out the factory spot welds holding the bumper shock to the brackets and relocate it further in and re-weld, thereby moving the bumpers in.
but neither of these comes with the weight savings of euro bumpers.

Modified by Crazy Hungarian at 6:44 PM 6-30-2003

Modified by Crazy Hungarian at 6:46 PM 6-30-2003

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Re: Front end options for Jetta? (Diamond Dave)

Quote, originally posted by Diamond Dave »
Euro bumpers weigh roughly 10lbs. Stock Jetta bumpers weigh 38lbs.
The biggest problem with the euro Jetta lights would be the turn signals, plastic grill and headlight surrounds. All are very difficult to obtain in halfway decent condition.

You are straight up tripin, There kinda heavy but no where near 40 pounds
23, yes, 38? no. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Re: Front end options for Jetta? (DieselDemon)

What is needed to put a rabbit single square in place of the jetta double square? Grill, lights, what else?

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Re: Front end options for Jetta? (Reaper)

Quote, originally posted by Reaper »
What is needed to put a rabbit single square in place of the jetta double square? Grill, lights, what else?

Grill, lights, fenders, radiator suport http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,565 Posts

drilling the bumper shocks may be ghetto, but works great and looks so much better http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
As long as were on the topic of A1 Jetta bumpers.....
How do I get my hands on a Big Bumper kit off of a early 90's South African Fox???
On the headlights...I love the looks of the Dual Squares...and you can get H4 Replacement Lenses from JCWhitney.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Re: Front end options for Jetta? (DieselDemon)

Quote, originally posted by DieselDemon »

You are straight up tripin, There kinda heavy but no where near 40 pounds
23, yes, 38? no. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Mine were more than 23lbs..maybe 23lbs EACH...the Rabbit euro's were like 10lbs for the pair. BIG difference. Weight is the enemy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts