VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I am taking it to the dealer. Not trying to solve. Just looking if anyone has had the same issue. Driver side, or so it seems. Over smaller bumps at speed under 40.
Not a clank, just more of a rattle/clatter. Got under the car and can’t see anything amiss.

might have been there all along but I’ve had the windows down and radio up since I got the car two months ago. Recently I’ve had the ac on and radio down since I’m on dad duty for a few days.
Interested if others had the same issue.

·
Registered
443 Posts
First of all I am taking it to the dealer. Not trying to solve. Just looking if anyone has had the same issue. Driver side, or so it seems. Over smaller bumps at speed under 40.
Not a clank, just more of a rattle/clatter. Got under the car and can’t see anything amiss.

might have been there all along but I’ve had the windows down and radio up since I got the car two months ago. Recently I’ve had the ac on and radio down since I’m on dad duty for a few days.
Interested if others had the same issue.
It could be the strut bearing having a little extra space to move around. Or could even be something broken internally inside the strut itself. Have you done any suspension work or the previous owner perhaps if you got it used?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have a mysterious noise in my 2019 (22K miles) too. The noise appears only when the car is cold in the morning, when I drive it out of the garage; the the noise disappears in a few miles. It's treble in pitch, not terribly loud, and sounds like a rattle. I suspect something in the dash structure.

Doesn't seem to be suspension-related, as I cannot feel it in the seat or the steering wheel or the pedals. The suspension itself makes no noise or vibration.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a mysterious noise in my 2019 (22K miles) too. The noise appears only when the car is cold in the morning, when I drive it out of the garage; the the noise disappears in a few miles. It's treble in pitch, not terribly loud, and sounds like a rattle. I suspect something in the dash structure.

Doesn't seem to be suspension-related, as I cannot feel it in the seat or the steering wheel or the pedals. The suspension itself makes no noise or vibration.
For your rattle, kinda sounds like the all to common fuel line rattle, that’s common on all MK7 platforms, most initially start looking around the dash or passenger door, and find out it’s actually coming from where the fuel line bends. There’s tons of threads about it if you haven’t ruled this out already, it’s an easy dyi fix as dealers usually give people the run around even though there’s a tsb about it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
For your rattle, kinda sounds like the all to common fuel line rattle, that’s common on all MK7 platforms, most initially start looking around the dash or passenger door, and find out it’s actually coming from where the fuel line bends. There’s tons of threads about it if you haven’t ruled this out already, it’s an easy dyi fix as dealers usually give people the run around even though there’s a tsb about it.
I wondered about that, but this noise isn't related to rpm. It is instead related to movement in the body, like going over pavement irregularities, but only when the car is cold. So I doubt it's the fuel lines.

But the fuel lines are an easy look. I'll poke around and see.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wondered about that, but this noise isn't related to rpm. It is instead related to movement in the body, like going over pavement irregularities, but only when the car is cold. So I doubt it's the fuel lines.

But the fuel lines are an easy look. I'll poke around and see.
Ahh gotchya, I was more thinking at cold idle the rpm’s are up around that 1100ish and then settles to warm idle 800ish, that maybe the fuel line rattle is what you’re experiencing, that and it was around that mileage, a little earlier, on my 19 that I got to deal with it, but it was an easy diy, but ya good luck finding it and post back what it was so when mine starts doing it I have a starting point 🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine happens when the car is warm. It’s somewhat hard to replicate. Low speeds. Certain bumps. I may hold off on taking it in as I am sure they will come back with a cannot duplicate if it’s not a consistent occurrence

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine happens when the car is warm. It’s somewhat hard to replicate. Low speeds. Certain bumps. I may hold off on taking it in as I am sure they will come back with a cannot duplicate if it’s not a consistent occurrence
Sadly that’s probably exactly what they’ll do, but then again at least you’d have it documented. Curious does yours have dcc? Is it modded, obviously especially suspension, springs, coilovers, swaybar etc?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Warranty exists for a reason. Take it in. Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Replaced the stock upper strut mounts with heavy duty ones ... knocking was completely eliminated.
The ecs heavy duty ones? If so expect issues down the road, especially in cold, unless ecs has changed them, golf R guys/gals, in the past, had issues with them. I only bring it up as when the the issues arose, it’s the last thing ya’d check, knowing ya just put new heavy duty ones on, not trying to be a downer, just trying to share information incase.

·
Registered
99 Posts
034 MotorSports ...
Sadly those were the other brand people were having issues with, I’m pretty sure the o34s have gone through a couple of re-designs, but some old reading incase anyone cares Squeaky ECS Heavy Duty Strut Mounts?

·
Registered
251 Posts
All I know is that the stock upper mounts were thin in comparison ... figured any reputable aftermarket was an improvement ... also replaced the bearings with VW OEM ... given the labor involved, cheap economy to not replace, no matter the mileage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts