VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All,

This seems to be the most relevant area to post this.

I have a 2016 Golf R with the front of the frame rails connected to the front bumper bent to one side.

I am wondering if others have seen this kind of damage and how it was fixed.

Idealy, it would be nice to replace the front bolt on forward components and then pull the rails back into straight.

However, some seem to think the only way to do this is cut the entire front frame rail all the way off the firewall and replace the entire thing. Very expensive.

Yes, its bent, but really only holds the rad and bumper. Straighten and re-enforce?

Looking for some thoughts and experience from others that have encountered this type of damage in the past?

Here is the picture with a red square around the most bent one: https://ibb.co/wY00Qsx

Thanks much!

Mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
This thread is useless without pictures.

Yes, unibody rails can be straightened if bent. The question is: does that straightening leave you with a repaired unibody rail, or a just a squared-up front end that still needs a rail replacement? So, are your rails *bent* or are they *kinked*? Are they bent in a crumple zone? Are they bent near a suspension mount? How many millimeters of sway are we talking about, exactly? What does the workshop manual say about straightening or sectioning of the front rail(s) on your vehicle?

Here’s the even bigger issue: Volkswagen specifically prohibits tying down vehicles to a frame machine with chains or pinch weld clamps. Therefore, 99.9% or bodyshops are not even equipped to work on our vehicles in VW’s eyes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Picture of damage - see frame rails

https://ibb.co/wY00Qsx

Here is a pic. Its the front of the frame rails. Both bent same direction...

Let me know your thoughts.

Pretty common in a diagonal front bumper hit.

·
Registered
95 Posts
This reply is going to seem brusque, I’m sorry. You obviously need both lower rails and at least the right upper rail. You should not have bought this car at auction if you don’t know how diagnose it or fix it. For your own safety and the safety of other motorists, please don’t cobble this together and slap a bumper cover on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya, wasn't planning on that. And I was thinking the same thing.

And simply preceding a rude statement with "sorry" does not make it any less rude or condescending.

Anonymous posting brings this out in some people with lack of proper manners.

This reply is going to seem brusque, I’m sorry. You obviously need both lower rails and at least the right upper rail. You should not have bought this car at auction if you don’t know how diagnose it or fix it. For your own safety and the safety of other motorists, please don’t cobble this together and slap a bumper cover on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Unfortunately, a lot of context and subtlety is stripped from our words when we type them into a computer. This facilitates miscommunication. (The truth is that I am prone to rambling, so I abridged my thoughts to the point of curtness. I’m sorry.)

I will help any way I can, but you’ve got quite a project on your hands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts