VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
There should be a piece in the center of the rivet you push in with a small screwdriver (or anything that can really fit), push them all in and then you can just pull the plate mount off the bumper

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the center of the rivet go insde the bumper or come off with the plate ?

Will the center of the rivit fall into the hollow bumper or come out with the rivit ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help. I will try it. Do you know if it is possible to re position the inside R.V. mirror? I would like to raise it. It blocks my view at 1:00 -2:00 o'clock.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Let somebody back into your car with a trailer hitch receiver. That's what I did. It removed the plate bracket and did some damage to my bumper too and now, I had the holes filled and now I'm hoping the hide away plate holder will work for me so I can be legal. I'll be damned if I'm going to drill holes back into my bumper. It sucks that the 17 Facelift GLI will not accommodate a tow hook holder without obstructing the grill mounted parking sensor..

On a serious note, when I get home in a couple hours I will see if they are the type of clips that can be removed and re-used and get back to you.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Use a set of needle nose pliers to pull out the center pin on each of the 3 rivets. The plate holder will then come right out. The pins do not have to come completely out, just pull them until the retract about 1/2 inch. DO NOT TRY TO PULL THE ENTIRE PIN FROM THE PLATE MOUNT. Just the center of the pin will pull out and it makes it so it won't do any damage to the holes in your bumper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right on ! Rivet must be pulled !!!

Before I read your post I followed other suggestions and PUSHED IN the center of the plastic rivet and they fell into the bumper assy. never to be seen again !!! Bought 4 new rivets @ $0.84 each from dealer and put everything back . Wasted effort- nothing behind plate to tie rope to anyway. On to plan B: Sell Canoe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts