VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased Bilsteins/h&r sports and i was thinking of eventually putting a 28mm rear sway bar on...do i need to get a front one also to balance out the suspension if i eventually do this?
THANKS

·
Registered
18,208 Posts
Re: front sway bar necessary with rear sway bar? (vrsikride)

it's really a matter of preference... on my 2k1 jetta i run an autotech lightweight 28mm rear bar and stock front one..
on my autox rabbit, i run a shine racing service rear bar, and NO front bar (removed the stock one)
it'll work either way, just feels different -- and is a matter of how you like it...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Re: front sway bar necessary with rear sway bar? (vrsikride)

i believe adding the front sway will stiffen up your chassis more, but will cause more understeer.
the rear sway is pretty much all you need to achieve minimum body roll and neutral handling to throttle lift off oversteer. i've heard only good things about putting in a rear sway only, which i plan to do within the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Re: front sway bar necessary with rear sway bar? (goterps)

Well I've heard good things about adding the rear bar, but it depends on the size. A 28mm only rear bar may give you more oversteer than you know what to do with... until you get used to it.
Also, if you have a WE or the Sport Suspension you already have a slightly larger front sway.
Personally I'm going to go with a 25mm bar once I've done the springs & shocks.

Post edited for Poster stupidity ... over / under it's all the same to me apparently

[Modified by Jeckyll, 7:57 PM 4-14-2002]

·
Registered
862 Posts
Re: front sway bar necessary with rear sway bar? (Jeckyll)

quote:[HR][/HR]Well I've heard good things about adding the rear bar, but it depends on the size. A 28mm only rear bar may give you more understeer than you know what to do with... until you get used to it.
Also, if you have a WE or the Sport Suspension you already have a slightly larger front sway.
Personally I'm going to go with a 25mm bar once I've done the springs & shocks.[HR][/HR]​
don't you mean more "oversteer" and not "understeer" with the thicker bar? having a stiffer rear end makes it more liable to swing out in hard cornering.
many vortexers here would vote that the 28mm rear sway is the perfect size for mk3 vr6's, and you can adjust its stiffness with 3 settings as well.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Re: front sway bar necessary with rear sway bar? (goterps)

Yeah this is exactly what happens when you post while doing 3 other things

Of course I mean oversteer... thanks for catching it.
(off to edit original post)

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Re: front sway bar necessary with rear sway bar? (Jeckyll)

I just installed Bilsteins and H&Rs (ride great) and a Neuspeed 28MM rear sway, and stress bars front and back. Haven't really been able to get on it yet, and still on stock tires. But from what I have seen it seems to handle pretty neutral. This is with the bar on the middle setting, so I can still go either way. Also I have a 2.0 so that will change the caracteristics a little.
What I ended up deciding on is getting the 28mm, the worst will be have it on the soft setting and not get the front. But if I ever feel like it I can always upgrade the fron to 25 I believe it is, and tighten up the back and still be balanced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.