VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have yet to find a good "how to" on front windshield removal with pictures. The rear glass was relatively easy to replace due to it not being a glue seal. Front Windshield was another Story.

New Glass Recipiant

Now I know why they charge $300+ to change a windshield

Tools: Jalopy Numbchucks (Cut broom handle for handles with piano wire), Pop sickle sticks, Paints Sticks, and various razor blades

Cutting and Shimming

Jalopy Numbchucks in action!

Out! Anybody need a used Mk2 windshield!

Winning!

Main Reason I pulled it myself...To fix repair this section of the windshield flange.

More to Come!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool..thanks for sharing the link. Hopefully somebody else will be able to use the info as well.

The New/Used windshield I pulled in the Junkyard came out very easy. It was an aftermartket windshield. The one in my car appears to be the original. Kind of thinking this makes a difference in how easy they come out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
not sure where you got that price, but mine was like $140 for the windshield+replacement. I just had it done 2 months ago.

maybe its cheaper where I live...

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not sure where you got that price, but mine was like $140 for the windshield+replacement. I just had it done 2 months ago.

maybe its cheaper where I live...
Yeah..I thought the quote was high and they said this was the non-insurance rate. I even told them I would have the glass out and the flange cleaned. I told them I didn't want to buy their shop, I just wanted the glass replaced. LOL!

Regardless, I was going to do it myself because I didn't want them to just throw the glass back in there over that rusted corner. Glass repair guys doing body work is a scary thought. The last place I had replace the windshield on my Golf left a gap in the upper corners. They told me it was supposed to be there so water could drain down in there? Told the guy he didn't know much about a VW...and then the fight started!

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you have any questions PM I have 10 years of auto glass experience

·
Registered
780 Posts
You should really be sealing the gasket with urethane anyways, that's why I was wondering what you thought the advantage was. Are you welding new metal into that pinchweld?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You should really be sealing the gasket with urethane anyways, that's why I was wondering what you thought the advantage was. Are you welding new metal into that pinchweld?
What is your experience with Urethane vs. the Gasket? The rear is a factory gasket and doesn't leak. Are you a glass tech or are your just speculating? Have you had experience with both and one leaked? I need evidence, not here say. Just saying.

Yes, I will be welding in a new flange to repair the rust. This was the whole reason I pulled the windshield myself.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
By gasket are you referring to the molding around the window? The molding i used was universal molding just cut to the length that i needed. It's pre-adhesived on the side that goes into the windshield. Then lined the molding with urethane and placed the windshield on the car. :thumbup:
Other than that I'm not sure how else you'd do it to be honest. Urethane without molding just wouldn't look right :laugh:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Urethane without molding just wouldn't look right :laugh:
I was going for a shaved look though! :laugh:

He is calling the actual seal that goes around the window a gasket.

Estacaco, I think you used a different seal than what I have. The "seal" I have, can be ROPED in like the rear glass is. There is a slot for the window to sit in and a "2nd" slot for the rest of the seal to wrap around the window body flange. Essentially you wrap the seal around the window before installation. Then you run a rope around the 2nd slot just behind the windshield slot. Lay the windshield in place, pull the rope which pulls/laps the 2nd slot around the inner and outer edges of the body windshield flange/lip. This creates the water tight seal. I'll try to get a pic of the seal in here tonight to clear up any confusion.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Yes, I'm a glass tech. It's possible that the gasket will leak if it's not sealed. There's also the safety standpoint which may or may not be an issue for you. It's not a huge deal I guess since the car doesn't have airbags but US spec cars came with bonded windshields for a reason and I assume it was to meet DOT specs. Personally I don't see any advantage to using a gasket...a bonded windshield will be easy to remove if needed. I'm not saying you absolutely shouldn't use the gasket, just hoping you've weighted out the options before just slapping it in.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Masked the flange and started cleaning the it tonight. I'll be taking it to bare metal and then give two good coats of Epoxy Primer to seal down the metal.

Make sure you use a good rust preventing agent, when I had a real rusty car I would use an acid etch primer to clean the pinch well after I grinded the rust down, then 2 coats of pinch well primer.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts