VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Sportwagen. So a week ago my front windshield washer quit working. The rear washer still works. Washer tank is full. No break in the hose as there is no fluid spilling out under the hood. Fuse #41...if that is the right one, is ok. Is this a relay problem from one of the relays under the dash?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a 2009 Sportwagen. So a week ago my front windshield washer quit working. The rear washer still works. Washer tank is full. No break in the hose as there is no fluid spilling out under the hood. Fuse #41...if that is the right one, is ok. Is this a relay problem from one of the relays under the dash?
The best way to start is to have someone activate the washer while checking under the hood for leaks and the sound of the pump running. I expect that, if you listen very closely to the relay, you might be able to hear it switch on and off.

As for the relay's location, if this diagram is the right one, it is #3 in the "Relay carrier on onboard supply control unit (left under dash panel)". https://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/volkswagen/golf/218-golf-v.html

If the relay is good, you can't find any signs of a leak and aren't losing any fluid, like from a broken hose, the pump may be clogged or have failed. This videos shows you how to get to the pump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyEf6DygJew

This appears to be the pump: https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2009_Jetta-Wagon/Pump-Washer-Front--Rear/48129652/1K6955651.html

Please let us know what the fix is when you figure it out.

Good luck!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So I clearly hear the relay working when activating the washer. The rear washer works and sprays. No fluid up front or under the hood. The sprayers are not clogged. I removed and can blow through them. So I may need a washer pump. The question now is? Are there 2 pumps for the wagon? One front and one rear?

Ok...looking online there appears to be only 1 pump. Maybe I should pull off the fender liner, look at the tank and pump, and see what I find.

Is there a fuse in addition to the relay?

·
Registered
422 Posts
So I clearly hear the relay working when activating the washer. The rear washer works and sprays. No fluid up front or under the hood. The sprayers are not clogged. I removed and can blow through them. So I may need a washer pump. The question now is? Are there 2 pumps for the wagon? One front and one rear?

Ok...looking online there appears to be only 1 pump. Maybe I should pull off the fender liner, look at the tank and pump, and see what I find.

Is there a fuse in addition to the relay?
If the pump under the hood is silent when you wash the rear, there are two pumps.

I think the key is to put a voltmeter on the pump plug and trigger the front washer. if it doesn't have power, there is a wiring/fuse problem because you confirmed the relay is working and the relay wouldn't trigger if the switch on the stalk wasn't working. If it does have power, the pump is clogged or failed.

Keep in mind that, when it comes to identifying/verifying parts, calling any VW dealership's part department can be helpful. If one is less than helpful, call another. Last I checked, there were 650 to choose from.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.