VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Administrator
'20 R1250 GSA, '17 Alltrak SEL, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
23,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after a long internal debate I have decided to put my car up for sale but this time it is for good.
1981 Volkswagen Scirocco "S" with 71,xxx miles. I am the third owner of this car and have owned it since I began the restoration/modification process in 1999. I started with a nice, clean Texas car that spent the vast majority of its' life in Southern California before it made its way out to Maryland and into my hands.
In November of 2000 the car was completely stripped down the chassis to the bare shell, the car was seam-welded and had all of the paint and bodywork performed by Annapolis Collision where nearly 50 hours of shop time was spent to straighten the body. Afterwards the car was sprayed with Porsche Silver Metallic paint in a three-stage process where nearly 4 ml of clearcoat was sprayed on to protect the finish. The entire car was cut in including the engine bay, trunk area, footwells, doorjambs, under the roofline, etc... the total job was in excess of $3200.
The shell was then carefully transported back up to New German Performance in Aberdeen, Maryland where I began the process of installing all of the glass, building the doors, and re-assembling the wiring and dash components. All of my work was performed under the watchful eye of Dave Graf of New German Performance.
Here is a rundown of the various aspects of the vehicle:
Engine and drivetrain:
-2.0 9a 16v motor from a 1992 Passat bored to 2.1 liters
(Bore: 83.5mm; Stroke: 95.5mm; 2092cc)
-all internals are balanced, blueprinted, and lightened
-1.8 liter 16v head ported and polished by Colin Genes of Techtonics Tuning
-50 mm European Intake (port matched)
-entire fuel system has been changed to a later model Golf-Style Motronic
-Techtonics Tuning Eprom chip for timing and fueling
-Techtonics Tuning ABF grind 16v camshafts
-Techtonics Tuning Street Tri-Y header with high flow cat
-Techtonics Tuning 2.5” aluminized exhaust with Borla Muffler

-VL Option six speed tranny with 4.25 final drive based upon a 9a box with custom .71 six speed. This also features a Quaife differential and the cases are custom powdercoated a gloss black.

-Spec II stage II clutch with less than 800 miles on it
-Eurosport lightened flywheel
Suspension and Brake Modifications:
-KW Coilovers with custom spring rates
-Eurosport 4 point subframe brace and rear shock tower brace
-poly bushings used throughout
-Autotech hollow 28mm rear swaybar
-powdercoated rear axle beam
-10.5" front brake conversion using brembo drilled/slotted rotors and Hawk HP pads
-full rear disc brake conversion with braided lines throughout
-Schmidt MX line wheels in 15x8” with a 25mm offset
-Autotech quick-ratio steering rack
Interior:
-Custom Headliner, trim work and rear carpeting with false floor
-Custom logoed Scirocco 16v floor mats
-Kirk Racing four point roll bar
-Custom Recaro Trophy seats reupolstered with leather bolsters and ultrasuede centers mounted on Wedge Engineering bases with Recaro sliders.
-Sparco custom polished leather/ultrasuede steering wheel
-R&A designs billet golf ball-style shift knob

-
Body Modifications:
-Complete seam-welding throughout the entire chassis prior to repaint
-Rear wiper delete
-side markers removed
-European Bumpers in nearly flawless shape
-Kamei front air dam
-Sylvania HID conversion

Basically I started with a fresh sheet of paper and spared no expense in the restoration and modification of this car. Since its' "completion" I have put roughly 9,000 miles on it and other than a few hiccups that were easily remedied it has run flawlessly and has in certain cases served as my daily driver. It comes with many spares such as a new spare windshield, a pair of unaltered perfect door panels and a 2" thick binder of receipts totalling over about $20k in all.
There are a couple of flaws that I would point out; first off I have never been content with the hockey sticks above the rear side windows and had plans of removing them and re-positioning them along with re-doing all of the black trim outside of the windows. I have a bag of about 20 of those pesky clips to replace the previous ones along with a complete set of outer trim ready to powdercoat and send along. Secondly it does occasionally idle-up and I would attribute that to not driving it often enough to keep the idle stabilizer valve clean and freely working. Other than those two things and some small rock chips on the air dam (I have an unpainted black spare btw) you will be hard-pressed to find a nicer car at any price.
I am putting it up for sale along with all of the spares (spare windshield, spare door panels, spare front spoiler) along with anything else I can find in my cabinets here at the house for $13,900 firm.
I would like to humbly state that while it is a hard decision to make to sell the car I do so for a good purpose-- to continue to keep my wife home to raise our son and future others. If you are considering a restoration/modification project of this scope I can tell you that the many people who have tackled it will tell you that by buying my car you will save yourself thousands of dollars and many, many months and years of hard work.
Thanks in advance for the interest. I will expand upon the thread as things come to mind about details I have forgotten in the past 8 years.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: FS: 1981 VW Scirocco "S" with a 2.1 16v Motronic with all the goodies.. ([email protected])

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »

If you are considering a restoration/modification project of this scope I can tell you that the many people who have tackled it will tell you that by buying my car you will save yourself thousands of dollars and many, many months and years of hard work.

This is the truth. Someone buy this car today! I tried to the last time, but ended up with a full restoration project of my own and I can attest to what Paul says. You cannot build this car for 13.9K. Buy it today! I would if I could. It's a steal!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Re: (scirocco25)

I'll sell my Soul to the devil for your Ride Paul....

Must see what I can do...... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14,826 Posts
Re: (northsurveyor)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
Too rich for my blood, but by far the nicest Mk1 I've ever seen, and exactly how I'd want mine.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Re: FS: 1981 VW Scirocco "S" with a 2.1 16v Motronic with all the goodies.. (Rays-Rocco)

Good luck with the sale Paul, stunning Scirocco! I was staring at the engine bay pic for a while, I love attention to detail! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Re: FS: 1981 VW Scirocco "S" with a 2.1 16v Motronic with all the goodies.. ([email protected])

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif bad azz ride good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Wow

That may be one of the best examples of a MkI resto done soooo right. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Nice job Paul. What a tough decision for you to sell it.
Does it leak somewhere? Just refering to the cardboard under the car in a few pix in the garage.

·
Administrator
23,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Wow (Jim's16VScirocco)

Thanks guys I appreciate the encouraging words! It will be an odd, empty feeling to not see it in the garage but the upside will be some additional time bought for my wife to stay home with our son.. and perhaps add another little life to our family in the near future.
Quote, originally posted by Jim’s16VScirocco »
Does it leak somewhere? Just refering to the cardboard under the car in a few pix in the garage.

It did have a small leak from the oil cooler at one point but since then I have tightened it back down, added a new gasket and cleaned off the dirty spots.. right around the time that I put the new transmission in it.
The cardboard is actually under all of the vehicles just to keep the floor clean along with being a handy-dandy storage place for it.. as a new parent it seems like everything we get comes in a big old box of some sort!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Re: FS: 1981 VW Scirocco "S" with a 2.1 16v Motronic with all the goodies.. (falcon2000aj)

Very Fairly priced for anyone that knows what goes into a resto.Absolutely Stellar.Good Luck!

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Re: (SargeinAZ)

Not that it needs to be said again, but I've also seen this car in person many times when it used to be up at NGP. It is everything that Paul says it is, and probably more, as he's being modest about the amount of work he put in to this car.
I just wish I had asked to drive it at least once, if you'd have let me!

Good luck with the sale!
-Tim

·
Administrator Emeritus
19,475 Posts
Re: FS: 1981 VW Scirocco "S" with a 2.1 16v Motronic with all the goodies.. (sciroco1)

Quote, originally posted by sciroco1 »
Is the 71K the mileage on the body or on the motor?
jb

I can't speak for Paul, but I very much doubt that he's put 71k miles on the engine since he built it.
-Tim

·
Administrator
23,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: FS: 1981 VW Scirocco "S" with a 2.1 16v Motronic with all the goodies.. (SilverSLC)

Quote, originally posted by SilverSLC »
Not that it needs to be said again, but I've also seen this car in person many times when it used to be up at NGP. It is everything that Paul says it is, and probably more, as he's being modest about the amount of work he put in to this car.
I just wish I had asked to drive it at least once, if you'd have let me!

Good luck with the sale!
-Tim

Thanks for the kind words Tim; jump on a plane and come drive it.

Quote, originally posted by gamblinfool »
Sorry to hear it - any chance you're selling the white elephant too?

Yep me too Jeff! The future of the white elephant is unknown at this point. I know that I will be offering up a very nice Ottenger crate motor here in a few weeks...
Quote, originally posted by drewgroopman »
so, is this your subtle/elusive way of saying
theres an 09 rocco on it's way to arizona?

You are very funny man Jerry Seinfeld!
Nope, that car is not slated for the United States and there is a very strong chance that it may not see production in Europe either.
Quote, originally posted by sciroco1 »
Is the 71K the mileage on the body or on the motor?
jb

Hi JB! There is 71k on the chassis and about 8k on the motor. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 190 Posts