VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FS: 1987 GTI / Schimmel vrt / Shaved & Bagged on BBS RS / Connecticut

$13K!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5898458-Cspence-s-87-GTI-VRT-Swap-amp-Build-Thread

Well, after sitting cooped up in the garage for over 2 years, I think I’m near a point where I’m ready to part ways with the car, passing it on to a person who will take care of it, build upon it, and enjoy it as much as I did. Before I get carried away with the back story, specs/parts list and some pictures are below and a link to my build thread is above for more if you want to skip to it. Many of you probably remember seeing my build thread and or remember the car from shows back in 2013/2014. In 2012, with my wife facing some serious and unforeseen health problems, I had to sell beloved R32; a car which served as my first introduction into the VW community and a new group of friends at a local shop. The majority of the money from this sale went towards immediate medical expenses, but having a small portion left over and some good contacts, I was able to buy a mk3 vrt to fill the “void”. Shortly thereafter, following a comedy of errors that weren’t so funny at the time, the idea of swapping the motor and building a mk2 was born. It quickly morphed from a plan to do a cheap, quick, down and dirty build to a slow, thorough, high quality build. I didn’t know at the time, but this build process would serve as an important means of salvation to me during a challenging time in my life. I know if may sound cheesy, but this car created many friendships, gave me something to focus on and is one of the primary reasons I was able to stay strong and “keep my sh*t together” for my wife. For this reason, I will always be grateful for those that contributed and made this happen.

I’ll be the first to admit that without BNR, this car wouldn’t exist. The amount of time, resources, and raw talent that went into this car, far exceeds anything I could have done on my own. Along with that, they also worked very hard to keep it as cost effective as possible for me, giving me a break any time they could and even chipping in some of their own coin for parts.

If you made it this far, I’m impressed, I won’t waste any more of your time. If you couldn’t tell already, this car has a great deal of sentimental value. I’ve bought and sold many cars before, so I know this means nothing at the end of the day, and that I’ll never get all the money invested back. Throughout the build process, I was very methodical about keeping track of all the money I spent on this build, well up until a point….as soon as I crested about $30k I stopped (ignorance can be bliss), although by that point the car was nearly complete; I guess it was nice that this build took more than a year to finish, as it gave me time to save to pay for it. In addition, this cost DOES NOT include the value of all the parts I unexpectedly and luckily acquired with my mk3 VRT donor car; which would of added several thousand more dollars, bringing the grand total to over $39K. The list at the bottom of this post is of all the items that are currently on the car. Items like the bonrath mono wiper, happich windows, wood Hella/momo steering wheel, and autotech dead pedal which I had and that you may see in my build thread or elsewhere, have since been sold long ago; after realizing that I had started to get out of hand with spending on this car. I removed them from the cost breakdown to keep the list accurate and actual cost real. Keep in mind, this cost doesn’t include all the odds and ends from parts store runs (oil, coolant, brake fluid, hoses, hose clamps, silicon, nuts, bolts, por15, etc). Like anyone that has built a car, bike, or any other toy for that matter can attest; costs can rack up, fast!

With that all said, I’m asking $18k for the car; a price that I feel is very fair and reasonable for both parties. I’m out a large chuck of change (something I was aware would happen should this day come, although at the time I swore up and down it never would which is how I justified sparing no expense during the build….since I was keeping it forever); but I walk away with some money to invest in new things in life that have now taken priority. In return, you get a car that you’d be hard pressed to duplicate for the same price it cost me and never could be duplicated for the price I’m asking. To top it off, you get to enjoy it right off the rip from day one; rather than having to wait a year or two to build it. It’s amazing how hard some items were to find, some taking me months to find and required driving all over the Northeast, not to mention a tremendous about of time, blood, sweat, and tears of SEVERAL guys working on the car. Couple this with the other main requirements to build a car; facilities, tools, resources, and broad range of talent or contacts for welding, fabrication, wiring, body work and paint; $18K is no small price to pay for a car, but it really is one heck of a bargain when you think about it all.

I know everyone loves to negotiate and I’m not going to say I wouldn’t budge a little if the right buyer came up to me with cash in hand, but know upfront I always try to price the things that I sell realistically. I’m not one of those people that set this unrealistically high asking price so they can negotiate down and make people think like they are getting a deal, I’d much rather skip all that nonsense and wasted time, for both of us. As far as removing parts to shave down price, about the only thing I would be willing to sell the car without is the wheels, and I would be willing to take $1500 off the price. You would obviously need to show up with your own wheels when taking ownership (I would obviously help you swap them). If there are parts or other things you don’t want, I’m sure there are as everyone’s tastes are different, I’m sure you would have no problem parting things out and selling off what you don’t want on the forum to recoup / repurpose your money. As far as trades go, the only thing I’d really consider is a four door pickup of the same value or less with cash on top, preferably a 4wd Gen2 Tacoma.

So, why in the heck would I want to part ways with this car if I have so much financially and emotionally invested? Quite simple. Since returning home from H2Oi in 2014, I tucked the car away for the winter. My wife and I purchased our first home that following April and all of 2015, my time was consumed with projects around the house. That year, I think the car may have made it around the block a handful of times, but no car shows. In to the garage it went again for the winter. In May of 2016, my wife and I welcomed our beautiful baby girl into the world, a true blessing. Now not only is my time consumed with projects around the house (I’m planning on building my dream garage!!), but I have the added responsibilities of parenthood. Last year the car probably moved twice, maybe 5 – 10 miles each. As I walk by it in the garage every day continuing to sit with no driving in the foreseeable future, I’ve begun to question why I’m keeping it if I’m not using it. I sort of feel I’m doing an injustice to the car and the community by keeping it locked up in my garage. To add insult to injury, I also have a 72’ Nova that was given to me by my grandfather, which I spent the majority of my teenage years building and dumping money into. That car has been sitting now for more than a decade and holds far more sentimental value. Should I ever have some spare time to tinker with a car, at this point, this would be the one I want to do it on.

I know everyone always says they don’t need to sell and I hate to even mention it, but in all honesty, I really don’t; hence why the car has been sitting in my garage for more than two years. To tell you the truth, there’s a little part of me that still thinks I may see this as a mistake down the road, but it seems like the right decision now. At this point, I’m going to leave it up to fate. If the right person sees this ad and ends up buying, it was meant to be. If not, I guess I’ll take it as a sign that I’m supposed to keep it.

If you haven’t sensed it by now, I’m a straight forward (albeit long winded) guy, and many of the people on this forum and in the mkiv r32 forum can vouch for me. That said, I’ll be the first to tell you that the car is not 10/10 or absolutely perfect, although it’d be safe to say it’d rank in the upper percentile for mk2’s. Below is a list of things off the top of my head that were never completed before the car started to sit in storage and I now have no motivation to fix/complete at this point in time or that I feel are not perfect and would want to disclose. I know many people who wouldn’t mention most of these things or hope a potential buy would “miss” it, but that’s not me. I have nothing to hide, it really is a great car and with just a little more love, it could be phenomenal.

General:
-Drivers side rear turn signal intermittently does not work. I suspect a shorted wire in the harness.
-Blower for heat needs to be wired
-Battery could use to be replaced (PC680 Odyssey). At this point it’s a few years old and with intermittent use, it doesn’t seem to hold a charge any more.
-MK3 dash prevents window cranks from full range of motion. Never posed an issue to me, I just rolled the windows down the desired amount before closing the door. I do have electric window regulators and the mk3 power window switch that I will include, although I don’t have the wiring harness.
-Tachometer is not connected. I have and will include the required Autometer adapter to make it work along with the EBC.
-Oil temp and oil pressure gauges were never hooked up. I have the new Autometer kits required to do so, just never go around to doing it. Boost gauge and WBo2 are hooked up and are functioning though.
-Temp gauge on cluster does not work. Never was worried about getting this hooked up since I just referenced the coolant temp displayed on the SDS pendant.
-Air tank has developed a slow leak that needs to be sourced with some time and a bottle of soapy water. Takes a few weeks to empty completely. Bags themselves still appear to have zero leaks as I can park it weeks and months at a time without having it sag.
-E-Brake is not hooked up. If my memory serves me correctly, the cables are physically there, just never got hooked up. I always parked in gear and/or aired out when parked, so wasn’t too motivated or concerned about taking care of it.

Mechanical:
-On a cold start after sitting for a prolonged period, the car will smoke / burn oil while warming up. This motor has been doing this since day one (well since I’ve owned it) and it’s been attributed to a leaky valve seal since, once warmed up, the smoking goes away.
-When going WOT at less than ~4k rpm, the car breaks up and bogs down. Under part throttle, it pulls like a raped ape up to redline, especially once going WOT north of 4k. I spent a decent amount of time trying to figure out what the issue was. Initially after talking with someone from SDS and some knowledgeable friends, I believed it to be the plug wires, so I went and spent over $200 on custom Magnecor wires, along with a new set of plugs. When that didn’t work, I had a few more conversations and landed on the possibility of it being something with the coil. SDS was and is able to diagnose and repair for I believe about $80-$100 plus shipping, but it takes a decent amount of time. At the time, I was in the middle of show season and didn’t want to leave the car dead waiting for the coil to get fixed. My only other option was to buy a new coil, but at the time, spending another $200 was not something I wanted to do, especially on a problem that didn’t really inhibit me from driving the car, just prevented me from driving it hard which I really never do anyways. The plan was to fix it over the winter….but everyone knows how that goes, thus the problem is still there. As odd as it sounds, after driving the car like this for as long as I have, I almost don’t even realize it’s a problem since at part throttle, it drives beautiful and if rolled on slowly, it’ll climb right up to redline without a hiccup.
-The Apexi EBC is not currently hooked up. It’s powered, plumbed and ready to go, but it needs a tach signal to finish it. Once the Autometer tach adapter is installed, this EBC can be finished. The car is currently controlled with a manual boost controller, set to ~18psi.
-Devil’s Own water meth kit currently installed but has never been used. Everything is wired, plumbed and ready to go except the reservoir. The controller is hidden in the driver’s side vent. The plan was to make a custom aluminum reservoir for the trunk, but it never got completed before the car went into hibernation. I think I have a Devils Own plastic tank somewhere that I will include if I can find it.

Cosmetic:
-The front bumper has some rock chips and other imperfections as a result of normal driving
-Door sill trim is there but in poor shape. Was on my list to source replacements, but never got around to doing it. On that note, I have a box of spare parts, A/B/C pillars, door seals, speaker trays, etc that will go with the new owner if they want them.
-Driver’s side Recaro seat has expected wear on entry side.

Although I’ve never driven the car any considerable distance, I have on a few occasions put 150-200 miles on it in a day. I’ve never had a mechanical failure or been left stranded. Honestly, the car was meticulously put together, and although it seemed like it was a painfully slow process when I was going through it, I was and am certainly thankful for the attention to the details and quality now. The car pulls VERY well, feels very tight in corners and over bumps, and it is really a blast to drive. Quite literally, EVERY nut and bolt has been touched and this car has been built from the ground up by 7 or 8 guys over the period of 13 months off and on. Would I recommend this as a daily driver, no, but it sure would serve the weekend warrior or car show aficionado (like I used to be) very well.

All work was obviously done at BNR by a group of talented guys– Body work, custom bumpers, shaved bay, frame notch, wire tuck, dash swap, paint, assembly, etc.

Bopper at Backfire Fab (Instagram – BOPPER_BACKFIREFAB) did the majority of fabrication on the car while he was working at BNR during the time that my car was there (intake manifold, hidden charge piping, turbo air filter inlet piping, downpipe, exhaust, brackets, etc). Those of you that don’t know him or haven’t heard of him in the VW community, I’m surprised, and you should check out some of his work.

Tuning was done by Jamie Marsh over at MarshTuning (http://marshtuning.com/). For those of you who don’t know Jamie, he’s a phenomenal tuner and is particularly notorious in the Nissan community. He did a few sessions with me, once on the dyno and then a couple street tuning sessions. Ultimately the misses up top prevented him from being able to get it 100% and wringing out all the power that he could. The plan was to get the car back to him once the problem was fixed, but you already know how that worked out. That said, he felt confident that the car could easily make well north of 550whp based on the motor specs, turbo size, and fueling. I don’t have a hard power figure or dyno chart in hand, I never have cared about “the number”, but it’d be safe to say the car is making about 350-400whp. All I know is, it’s already more than you need on public roads, period.

Any questions, please feel free to email me at [B][email protected][/B] or better yet, call (860-235-3779). I’d love to discuss any questions you may have. If you are seriously interested and want additional photos or even a video of anything before seeing the car in person, I’m also more than willing to accommodate that as well. For those of you that are not local to the Northeast, I’m more than willing to work with you should you want to purchase and ship the car home. I’ve had a vehicle shipped before (I was the buyer and coordinated things having a car shipped from SC to CT) and although it’s really an easy process, I know how unnerving the security of the exchange can be, so I thought it was just worth noting that I’d be willing to work with someone through this process should it be of interest. I have the title in hand and am ready to do a deal if and/or when the right person comes along. This is going to be the perfect car for somebody.

One last note worth mentioning, my intentions are to keep the valve cover currently on the car (with the cancer ribbon cleared in). I will obviously replace this with a stock one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got to admit man, I'm a little confused lol :confused:. Are you talking about the black outlining the sunroof? If so, that's just the seal.
How you color matched the sunroof. I'm asking if that's something you would do to your daily. Just because we have winter here and helps on long drives to have the open view up top on long drives.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How you color matched the sunroof. I'm asking if that's something you would do to your daily. Just because we have winter here and helps on long drives to have the open view up top on long drives.
mk2's don't have glass sunroofs, they're a solid sheet metal panel. :thumb up: Had it been glass, I would not have painted it or wrapped it :beer:

·
Registered
67 Posts
mk2's don't have glass sunroofs, they're a solid sheet metal panel. :thumb up: Had it been glass, I would not have painted it or wrapped it
Hahaha, I got a good laugh from this. I see why you were confused, I would have been too. Recently, I acquired my first Volkswagen. I love it...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
cute car! my daughter is getting her permit soon and needs a car to get to high school. is there a back seat?

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj///////////////////////////////kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I’ve been on a bit of a hiatus with selling…. Had a few interested folks, one of which seemed very interested. After investing quite a bit of my time with him, talking, texting, making videos (since he wasn’t local), etc, he disappeared. After that, I lost interest in trying to actively sell the car and decided to take a break. Thinking about it today, I figure it’s time to bump this thread back up. I'm a gear head and love talking cars, but please only contact me if you are seriously interested in buying, both your time and mine is valuable. To those of you reading this that are seriously interested, I do have a little wiggle room and am willing to work with the right buyer....reasonable offers will be considered :beer::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.