VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'17 Alltrak SEL, '08 BMW R1200RT, '96 VR6T Cabrio, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
23,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since my hosting situation seems to have gone kablooie, here is a link to the google picture drive where some photos are hosted. Please let me know if you need any others of the car. :)
Engine:
-Full AAA VR6 conversion from a 1998 Jetta GLX
-Recent timing chains and tensioners/wires/plugs/coil pack/gaskets/seals
-Full head rebuild less than 3 years/1500 miles ago
-CTS Turbo kit with 44# solution (Garrett T3/T4E with 63ar), 3” downpipe, Precision wastegate- turbo and manifold have been ceramic coated/ secondary fuel pump to support extra fuel
-9:0:1 head gasket spacer
-Fresh reseal of the top end and valve cover
-ARP head studs, ARP connecting rod bolts, upgraded crank bearings
-New 42dd crack pipe, thermostat housing, all new silicone water hoses
-New starter, rebuilt alternator, water pump, secondary water pump, AC compressor, receiver/dryer, AC fittings
-2.9 liter clone intake
-3” aluminum MBE exhaust with high-flow catalytic converter –w- custom tip (freshly powdercoated rear section too)
-UM 42# tune and “K” ecu
-Mk5 R32 oil pump with shortened Eurowise oil pan
-Custom AWIC setup from JDL Designs in Phoenix
-Snow performance methanol injection system (plumbed from the oversized Euro headlight washer reservoir)
-Eurosport oil cooler kit

Transmission and driveline:
-02A Corrado transmission (freshly inspected and checked) with diesel 5th gear
-Quaife Differential
-South Bend Stage II “Endurance” clutch kit with fresh flywheel (all work performed less than 1,500 miles ago)
-New axles
-BFI Stage .5 engine mounts
-Audi TT short shifter
-O2J tower and controls
-Dieselgeek shifter bushings

Brakes:
-Full Mk3 DE setup (11.3” fronts, 8.9” rears) with brand-new slotted rotors, pads, stainless braided lines, freshly bled setup less than a year ago.
-New wheel bearings front and rear

Suspension:
H&R ultra low coilover kit with new Powerflex upper strut bushings and new bearings
R32 lower control arm bushings
New tie rods and ball joints and fresh alignment
Autotech Clubsport front (25mm) and rear (28mm) swaybars and upper front stressbar (powdercoated)

Body:
-Car was brought from Florida to Arizona for this project
-Repainted in 2011 in BMP, including engine bay, door jambs, trunk, etc.
-Shaved antenna and washer squirters
-European front and rear bumpers and front core support/rear support modified
-All new lighting upgrades performed in the past year (new dual chamber headlights, candied taillights)
-Included is a rear Euro trunk and trim for the rear bumper inside the trunk
-VR6 lip
-Non-power cloth top with black headliner and new top pad, new boot
-New rain tray cover, Mk3.5 cabin filter conversion
-Completely renovated blend door foam and replaced the heater core while doing this.
-New windshield, seal and plastic trim

Interior:
-Mk4 square bolster seats and front tracks modified to accept the front seats the correct way (cutting the Mk3 track guides out and welding in Mk4 center track)
-doors, rear side panels and trunk have been dynamatted
-Entirely custom interior work by Ceballos Customs; $1900 in the cost of the red hide material alone, along with double French seams, custom center perforation, custom door panels, custom finished trunk, hand-wrapped center console, custom shift boot and parking brake boot.
-Extensive Alpine/JDL/Alpine/MTX stereo included
-All switches and gauge lights replaced with red
-Rebuilt (by BBA Remanufacturing) cluster with all red lighting

Wheels and Tires:

-ATS Type 10’s in 17x7.5”, painted with a BBS Diamond silver finish
-Tires are Nitto Neo Gen 205-40-17 (about 1500 miles on them.

So, here's the deal with this car. I bought it in 2014 for the sole purpose of having a project to work on while another project of mine was in the pipeline, and what started as a simple project snowballed with the first change that I made, which was the interior. The quality of the interior set the stage for the rest of the car, and as I have built quite a few great-quality VW projects, this one sets somewhat of a new bar.

This car represents a tremendous value for someone who wants to purchase a turn-key vehicle of really high quality. At the price I am asking you are basically buying the car for about $.50 on the dollar. The interior alone was $7,000 and the attention to detail by the people who built it on my behalf really outdid themselves.

Thanks for looking. :) -Paul

·
Super Moderator
'17 Alltrak SEL, '08 BMW R1200RT, '96 VR6T Cabrio, '89 Tristar Syncro TDi, '80 Scirocco "S"
23,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Missing centercap? Deal breaker. I'll give you $5.50.

Seriously, though, this Cabby looks incredible! Interior alone is a show stopper. Normally, I prefer a Mk1 Cabby, but this one makes me wanna switch teams! Turbo VR6 is just gravy!

Great seller, too. Terrible mod, but great seller! :laugh:

·
Super Moderator
23,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice looking car, I love the interior but I wonder where all the red cows come from, I've seen white, black and brown but no red cows:confused::beer:
Being from Arizona, our cows get a bit sunburned now and again. :D

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,159 Posts
:heart:

·
Super Moderator
23,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gorgeous car. One of my long time inspirations
Thank you both very much! The car has been stored away in my garage for the past month or so, since it is our hot season out here. I am hoping that the monsoons we have been having at night will give me a few opportunities to drive it at night or during the early morning.

Just let me know if you have any questions. I might trade it for an immaculate Mk4 R32, but it would have to be somewhere nearby where I could see your car, and you could see mine in-person.

·
Registered
416 Posts
FS: 1996 Cabrio VR6 turbo --- $15,500 (lots of pictures and detail inside)

Not a big fan of cabrios however this is one of the cleanest ones I’ve seen thus far. Beautiful ride. If I was in the market I would purchase this car. GLWS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you very much for the kind words. It is finally cool enough outside now to start driving it a bit now. It starts and drives perfectly. I may refinish these wheels and replace the centers, just to keep myself occupied.

·
Registered
47,288 Posts
Paul.....find me a 1990 alpine white G60 Corrado and I'll get this sold for you. :)

Personally, I think its well priced. Too bad its out of my price range.....hard to come by cars this well put together.

Gorgeous car....GLWS!

·
Super Moderator
23,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paul.....find me a 1990 alpine white G60 Corrado and I'll get this sold for you. :)

Personally, I think its well priced. Too bad its out of my price range.....hard to come by cars this well put together.

Gorgeous car....GLWS!

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. If I knew of a decent G60 Corrado of any sort that isn't being hoarded, believe me, I would let you know. :)

I appreciate your input on the car and yes, I agree with you on the price. It is out of the reach of most people but for the level of car that is being offered, it is a venerable bargain. :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts