VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*** MOVING, MUST SELL ASAP!!! ***

Clean clear Louisiana title in-hand in my name!

No reasonable offer will be refused!

The good:

2003 Indigo Blue Passat 1.8T Wagon, garaged most of its' life, still completely shiny.

Yes there are just 89.xxx miles on this clean blue 1.8T Passat B5.5 WAGON!

Thinking I was getting a good deal I bought this wagon from a buddy's girlfriend, the proverbial "little old lady" original owner, for $2000 a long while ago with a leaky original factory water pump because it was slightly overdue for a timing belt at 88,9xx miles and the timing belt service cost was beyond what she was able and willing to spend to fix her Passat. It was her daily driver car for groceries and church and doctor's visits and such until it left a puddle in her garage and she had it towed to the shop and they gave her the bad news and she offered it to me a few weeks later.

From what I can tell it's pretty much your basic B5.5 Passat GLS 1.8T Tiptronic Wagon.

It has power windows/locks/mirrors/sunroof, Fog Lights, original factory stereo, and working AC.
No Leather, no Climatronic, no MFSW, no power seats, just the typical GLS stuff plus the fog lights and sunroof options from what I can tell.

After I bought it a new Dayco timing belt kit was installed along with a Geba or Hepu metal impeller water pump and a new battery and it was back on the road again.

The bad:

After the timing belt/water pump service was done I drove it to run errands and did a few 20-30 mile freeway trips between Slidell and Mandeville/Covington in it and enjoyed the AC with no issues over several weeks until one day I left it parked outside in the driveway instead of pulling it back into the garage and got an unexpected surprise.

While this wagon sat outside the weather stormed for several days and when I went to drive it again a few hours after the rains had stopped as I pulled out onto the highway it took a long time to shift, the engine rev's went much higher than normal with it pulling strong but running out of regular tach range until it finally shifted into 2nd and then wouldn't go above 2nd gear no matter what I tried. It even ignored the tiptronic manual shift that I tried so I turned off the highway back into the neighborhood to keep the rev's down, drove it back home, parked it in the side driveway, and went back to using my daily driver car.

A few days later I tried driving it again and it stepped through all the gears at normal rpm's just like it's supposed to do.

I drove it a bunch more times locally to run errands with working AC during the hot Louisiana summers and it did all 5 gears at normal shift points as it should.
I had also been checking all of the fluid levels each time I drove it since the timing belt had and water pump were replaced and everything stayed normal.

The next time it was parked outside and bad weather rolled through and I tried to drive it after the storm it did that same odd thing of not wanting to go above 2nd gear so I parked it and put it on the to-do list's back burner for a while.
When I finally went back to try and investigate why rain would make the transmission misbehave I turned the key on and the warning alert beeped and the word STOP appeared along with a "low coolant" warning on the instrument cluster and when I checked the reservoir it had gone from full to empty while just sitting parked for a few weeks so I just locked it up and walked away again.

Since then the battery has gone completely dead from being parked and the lawnmower threw a rock that shattered the passenger rear door's window although the window tint film is still holding the window together.

So investigating why rain would make the automatic not want to up shift and why the coolant slowly disappears when it gets left sitting plus installing a new battery and a new passenger window ought to get this Wagon back to basic daily driver status.

I jump start it when I need to move it around in the driveway which it does just fine but I haven't taken it out on the road in over a year.

She had put "Primewell" (Firestone's bottom rung) tires on it not long before I bought it and they were already very hard and very noisy when I got it.

If I top off the coolant and put a new battery in it this wagon will start and run and drive although I wouldn't recommend trying a road trip in it until the coolant leak is found and fixed and someone really should figure out why rain makes the transmission decide to only do R, 1st, and 2nd gear on a 5-speed automatic.

I need this wagon gone but please no low-ballers.
I'm not looking for clean perfect or clean trade-in money but it runs as-is with low miles and it's too clean and good looking especially for its' age for me to be accepting rough trade or less.

I'm in the middle of trying to pack up a house while working full time remotely so if I don't respond immediately please bear with me, I will respond to all PM's and emails!

Thanks for looking!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts