VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to sell it, but I'm also enough of a realist that I know she needs to go to someone who can actually take on a car project.

The Good/Basics:

1980 model year Volkswagen B1 Dasher Station Wagon

Last time I KNOW it was driven was '96, by the inspection sticker in the windshield.
All the usual rust bucket spots are clean, so far as I can tell. Strut towers, rear wheel wells, cargo area floorboards, spare tire well all good.
Interior is brown leatherette, seats dirty but in salvageable condition without severe damage or rips/tears/holes. Rear cargo carpet likewise.
All the glass is present, in good condition, and not hazed by sun exposure.
Most of the original trim is present, if not on the car.
Large number of new parts, including:
New rear drums, hardware kit, wheel cylinders, brake shoes (Not installed)
New front calipers, ventilated discs, pads (not installed)
Master Cylinder rebuild kit (x2)
New clutch cable (not installed)
New parking brake cable (not installed)
New ball joints (not installed)
New tie rod ends (not installed)
New front struts, KYB (not installed)
New rear shocks, KYB (Not installed)
other parts I cannot list off the top of my head.

Original engine siezed, but I'm including at asking price a 1.5D longblock w/ new headgasket, headstud upgrade (ARP), and oil seals. Engine was from a '79 Rabbit and had 90% compression when pulled.
Also including a PW 4-speed from a VW Fox, which was a good match for the 1.5D when it was running in my Fox.

The Bad:
Original carpet in the passenger area is in bad shape, and probably not salvageable
Driver's side door handles need to be removed, cleaned, and reinstalled with new rubber bits to open the driver's side from the outside (interior handles still work)
Sunroof leaks- this is a recent development, and is likely a matter of an ancient seal and clogged drains.
The headliner will likely need replacing.
The dash has cracked from southern sun, needs to be recovered or replaced.
No HVAC system controls
Minimal rust, but rust is there (southern car)
Dent just past the fuel door (not creased)
Original green paint is spotted and worn, could use a respray.

The Ugly:
There is A SPOT of rust-through in the floor. Driver's side front footwell, directly under the brake/accelerator pedal area. Looks like it was a hit from the outside that was aided by the leaking sunroof. Total area of damage seems to be less than the area of my palm. actual whole much smaller.

I have finished cleaning it out and up, but lost my light. I WILL have pictures up tomorrow. Until then, have some pictures from several years ago when I brought it home. Dasher Album on Photobucket

I am willing to trailer it up to wherever you live within a 600 mile circle of two-nine-six-seven-zero ZIP code for $0.55/loaded mile. If you live outside this circle, let me know, we can definitely work something out to get this girl to a good home.

Please contact me via PM for an email or phone number.

This is the first car that I purchased specifically as a project car; youthful enthusiasm was no match for the scale of the project, though I've spent many years gathering the parts. I have a job and college to do now, and have turned to smaller projects, like my '83 CB650 Nighthawk motorcycle, to sate my tinkering need. I saved her from the crusher, someone else gets to save her from procrastination and a slow death! :)

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Added some fresh pictures, in the same album, taken before it started raining AGAIN.

They're tagged with 2012_photo

Also, Anyone living along the route between Clemson, SC and Washington DC can act quickly and pick this up for $500 if you can take delivery on the weekend of the 26th. I'll be headed north to visit some family, and it won't be a big deal to add this to a dolly and tow it up.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sha-bump. Last call for someone in the VA/MD area to pick this up for the reduced delivery price. Trip's this weekend, PM me and I'll give you a phone number, we can talk.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back from VA, once again available for questions, comments and more pictures.

Also remembered I have most of a set of green Audi Fox carpeting that would work well to replace most of the passenger area carpets. That can/does go with the car.

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sha-bump. Winter project time, folks!

Also willing to trade for a small/old motorcycle. Looking for something in the 250-500cc sort of range, running or not. I'll even take a motorcycle that's a rolling frame and a box of parts. :laugh:

Let me know what you folks have, we'll swap winter projects. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Sha-bump. Winter project time, folks!

Also willing to trade for a small/old motorcycle. Looking for something in the 250-500cc sort of range, running or not. I'll even take a motorcycle that's a rolling frame and a box of parts. :laugh:

Let me know what you folks have, we'll swap winter projects. :thumbup:
Boy I'd love that wagon but no can do...no space at the new place and I'm selling my house with the big garage :(

GLWS

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If someone here called me last week, please call me again. I've lost the paper I wrote your number on.

Please call again and let me know who you are, so I know.

Sent from the future via Google Skynet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.