VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FS: New 020 5th gears, 0.7619 ratio + install kit

**Unfortunately VW raised prices in Jan'18 so I've had to raise the price of the 0.76 5th Swap Kit to $170 shipped in the US. Thanks!**

They are a 42T and 32T set for a 0.7619 ratio.
These are new aftermarket gears, not used, and include the parts needed to swap the gears into the trans.
The gears are CRYO TREATED for additional wear resistance and strength!

Unfortunately, they won't fit into the MK2 16V codes (AGB, 2Y) or the MK3 2.0L codes (AMC, CHE, DFQ) without modification -- with the exception of the newer DFQ codes made after June 1, 1997.

The gears are made in China by the same factory that makes parts for Shanghai VW.
That is VW in China... they started in 1984, but due to Chinese laws, VW couldn't legally own their own business. They own 50% with China owning the rest.
Anyway, the factory that makes parts for Shanghai VW has made the 5th gears for me.

They are HRC58-63 on the hardness scale and are deep carbonized to 0.5mm-0.7mm depth.

The gear swap can be done with the trans in the car, but it is easier with it out and on the bench.
Info on doing the swap can be found here http://brokevw.com/5thswap.html

The install parts include a new 5th gear bolt, 5th fork lock plate, 5th gear circlip, and the 5th housing paper gasket. All of the install parts are OE VW with the exception of the paper gasket, which is OEM Reinz.

USPS Priority shipping with Delivery Confirmation is included.

Email [email protected] for more info, or if you'd like the kit that is also my paypal address.

Thanks and let me know if you have any questions!:thumbup:

Brian

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If I had a newer DFQ available to me and not just my CHE I would jump on this...

you wouldn't happen to have any 3.33 r&p's hanging around, would you? :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
FV-QR

Still available? Sell three yet?
"The install parts include a new 5th gear bolt, 5th fork lock plate, 5th gear circlip, and the 5th housing paper gasket. All of the install parts are OE VW with the exception of the paper gasket, which is OEM Reinz."

Is there a special tool required for this?

Allen

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still available?
Indeed:thumbup:

Sell three yet?
Oh yes:p

Is there a special tool required for this?
Yes, sort of...
There is a VW special tool for the 5th fork tube used to spin it to unscrew it from the shift fork, and there is a non-VW tool for the big 5th bolt, but the rest of it you would likely have handy.

The VW tool is just a tube with a couple tabs sticking out of the end of it. You can make one, or you can sit and unscrew the tube with a pair of needle nose pliers but it takes a lot of time as you only get 1/2 a turn at a time with the pliers.

I have a pic of the tool and measurements of it on this page if you want to try to make one... http://www.brokevw.com/5thswap2.html
I always thought about trying to find some PVC pipe that would be easy to notch and make a tool out of... the tube isn't tight so you don't need anything super strong, you just need to have something to engage the notches in the fork tube so it can be spun.

The other tool is a 12mm XZN driver, also known as a 12-point driver or a triple-square driver. You may have a set of these if you've ever done a head gasket, the head bolts are XZN bolts. So are the drive axle bolts where it attaches to the trans axle flanges.

The rest of it is common items... a 13mm, a couple flat blade screwdrivers, a pair of circlip pliers, and the only other issue may be removing the 27mm selector cover, and those can be pretty tight. I have a page showing how to make the 27mm tool here http://www.brokevw.com/27mm.html

The job can be done with the trans in the vehicle (though I have never done this myself) and it shouldn't take more than a couple hours, tops.:thumbup:

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello sir!

Any chance you have some of these left? I need a new and proven 5th gear for my 020 4k. I sent a pm as well.

thanks!!!
I didn't get a PM but you can email me at [email protected] with any questions... unless you are the fellow with the Kaaz LSD looking for the taller 5th gears, then I DID get that message and will reply soon :p
I do still have the gear sets available though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Any options for those with a 2Y tranny? I'm putting one in a Golf 1 with 165/50 15s on it, I'm going to need all the top gear I can get... Speedo is alreay 10% slow with the current set up.

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any options for those with a 2Y tranny? I'm putting one in a Golf 1 with 165/50 15s on it, I'm going to need all the top gear I can get... Speedo is alreay 10% slow with the current set up.
No, unfortunately not.
Unless you can grind the integral washer from the top of the gear and then add a dimple for the special locking plate used in the 16V trans codes, these gears won't work.

If you can dimple the gear face and remove the washer, they'll fit and work, but if you can do that you can make any 020 5th set work.:thumbup:

·
Registered
56,992 Posts
sent you a PM

i need a taller 5th gear for a 16v tranmission.... ?

i was hoping this would work but obviously not..

EDIT: Just saw the post above this.. damn - maybe i should just swap in a 9A transmission i have then instead of the AGB ?

lmk

thanks

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Edited original post to reflect current pricing of $160 shipped for the gears and install kit for all MK1/2 8V trans codes and MK3 2.0L codes after June 1, 1997.

Also added the new option of getting gears pre-modified for use in the MK3 2.0L and 16V codes with the install kit for $200 shipped.

:thumbup::)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts