VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have new 020 idlers and new sync hub sleeves. Both are CRYO TREATED for additional wear resistance and strength.

$65 for the idler gears.
$90 for the sync hub sleeve assembly (the mating gear to the reverse idler gear)
$125 for the pair.

These are new aftermarket gears, not used.
The gears are made in China by the same factory that makes parts for Shanghai VW.
That is VW in China... they started in 1984, but due to Chinese laws, VW couldn't legally own their own business. They own 50%.
Anyway, the factory that makes parts for Shanghai VW has made the reverse gears for me.

They are HRC58-63 on the hardness scale and are Deep Carbonized to 0.5mm-0.7mm

USPS Priority shipping with Delivery Confirmation is included in the price for US locations.

Email [email protected] with any questions.
Thanks!

Brian

·
Banned
493 Posts
Can the reverse idler be replaced without tearing down the whole transmission?

I'm having an issue on my 020 where reverse will not engage, clutch moves but reverse doesn't pop into place. I checked to ensure it wasn't the linkage being off by manually trying to move it into gear from the lever on the transmission with no luck.

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can the reverse idler be replaced without tearing down the whole transmission?

I'm having an issue on my 020 where reverse will not engage, clutch moves but reverse doesn't pop into place. I checked to ensure it wasn't the linkage being off by manually trying to move it into gear from the lever on the transmission with no luck.
No, the trans has to be removed from the car, the 5th gears removed, the drivers side axle flange removed, the selector shaft removed, then the casing can be split.
At that point, the idler gear can be replaced. If the gear that the idler mates to is also damaged (the sync hub assembly for 1st and 2nd gears on the output shaft), then the output shaft would need stripped of gears to get down to the mating gear for the reverse idler to replace it.

Drain the oil, have a look for metal debris or glitter in the oil to indicate a failed reverse idler gear, but it sounds like the trans needs opened if you can't manually select reverse by hand at the trans with the linkage removed.

·
Banned
493 Posts
No, the trans has to be removed from the car, the 5th gears removed, the drivers side axle flange removed, the selector shaft removed, then the casing can be split.
At that point, the idler gear can be replaced. If the gear that the idler mates to is also damaged (the sync hub assembly for 1st and 2nd gears on the output shaft), then the output shaft would need stripped of gears to get down to the mating gear for the reverse idler to replace it.

Drain the oil, have a look for metal debris or glitter in the oil to indicate a failed reverse idler gear, but it sounds like the trans needs opened if you can't manually select reverse by hand at the trans with the linkage removed.
Just the detail I was looking for in a reply! Looks like it's outside my scope of mechanical abilities.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts