VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Sometimes my shiftier locks in park and wont allow me to shift it back into neutral, reverse or drive. I was wondering if the magnets being out of place would effect it. Thought i would mention that my abs light is on and maybe that was causing the problem...

any advice would be great!
[email protected]
99 passat 1.8t Auto
It's possible that the magnet may have come loose and is causing the shifter to bind. Not likely if your tiptronic function still works.

I would take it apart and check for coins or other debris in the shift gate. I would also listen for the shift lock solenoid to activate when you step on the brake. A bad brake switch or a bad solenoid could keep the shifter locked in park.

·
Registered
3 Posts
99 Audi A6 Quattro

I was driving down the road when I shifted over to the Triptronic. I was stuck in 1st gear after driving down the road if finally went back into drive and worked a couple times after now I have no Triptronic

I've found replace Mass Air Flow sensor make it brand new?
Fix or replace the magnets?
Heard changing plugs?

Thinking I need a magnet from you, should I open it up first to make sure the magnet wasn't just knocked loose?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Sounds like you might have more than one issue. Pull the shifter apart and see if the magnet is there. If not, then that might be part of your problem.

In general, when the magnet is dislodged the car won't have any reaction at all when you move the shifter right into the Tip position. I suppose the magnet could be stuck on the circuit board causing the car to freak out, but that would be pretty unlikely.

I have plenty of magnets if you end up needing one.

I was driving down the road when I shifted over to the Triptronic. I was stuck in 1st gear after driving down the road if finally went back into drive and worked a couple times after now I have no Triptronic

I've found replace Mass Air Flow sensor make it brand new?
Fix or replace the magnets?
Heard changing plugs?

Thinking I need a magnet from you, should I open it up first to make sure the magnet wasn't just knocked loose?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Codes

I just replace the camshaft position sensor would that have anything to do with it? The mechanic just finished job, had him replace the camshaft since motor would work at all, which fixed the issue, then had him replace valve cover gaskets and during the ordeal he had to pull out and put back in the air box over and over though maybe he did something to the Mass Airflow sensor. I read on other forums same issue triptronic wouldn't work that after replacing MAF and or Plugs car ran fine.

Drive works fine and I never had any transmission code which I found that if no code typically magnets not switch?

What more problems were you thinking?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Here's a simple test for the magnet:

Start your car & put the shifter in drive. Keeping your foot on the brake (car not moving) move the shifter right into Tip mode. If the cluster display changes from PRDN4321 to 54321 then your magnet is fine. If the display does not change then you have a problem with your magnet or the circuit board it interacts with.

Performance problems related to components under the hood are probably best discussed in a separate thread. You'll want to include info about your model year and which motor you have in that thread. Feel free to PM me a link to that thread and I'll participate if I can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Magnets Missing

I need a magnet my email is [email protected] my paypal email is [email protected] Please send me invoice for magnet.

Here's a simple test for the magnet:

Start your car & put the shifter in drive. Keeping your foot on the brake (car not moving) move the shifter right into Tip mode. If the cluster display changes from PRDN4321 to 54321 then your magnet is fine. If the display does not change then you have a problem with your magnet or the circuit board it interacts with.

Performance problems related to components under the hood are probably best discussed in a separate thread. You'll want to include info about your model year and which motor you have in that thread. Feel free to PM me a link to that thread and I'll participate if I can.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
This is what the 2001 and newer Jettas use (at least on US-spec cars):

and this is the setup on the A4s & Passats (the magnets I have):

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is what the 2001 and newer Jettas use (at least on US-spec cars):

and this is the setup on the A4s & Passats (the magnets I have):

But the in picture of the jettas magnet, the magnet is upside down right??? Beacouse the actuator of my shifter is in the left side :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
magnets

Do you still hve any of these left. I need the big one for a 99 vw passat and do you have one with the plastic holder mine i broe thanks

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I have what's pictured in the first post of my thread. It includes the plastic chip or holder, as pictured.

Some passats have a little longer plastic chip....I have some of those, too.

Do you need the whole mat that slides forwards and backwards with the shifter? I have a couple of those.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts