VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another thread or two on this but I thought I consolidate them. I thought I had this licked, but apparently not.

2007 GTI, 2.0T FSI. APR Stage 1, 90,000 miles, no other mods.

The engine is consuming oil at a rate of 1 qt every 200 miles. Yes, 200. (all grades experimented with 0W40, 5W40, 10w40, 15w40, 20w50).

No external leaks, no oil visible on the exterior of the engine.
Exhaust smoke in all conditions, heavy smoke under hard acceleration and high boost.

PCV valve replaced.
DV replaced.
Compression on all 4 cylinders checked (169, 174, 170, 180)
Turbo replaced.

So....all of that was done and the engine is STILL gulping oil at 1 qt every 200 miles. What the hell else can be the cause?
The only thing left is the rear breather and I'll do that for the hell of it but no one seems to think that'll fix it.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can the valve cover gasket being bad lead to the exhaust smoking and this level of oil loss?
Where, internally, can the gasket leak to? There are no external leaks around the valve cover.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update and Final Solution:

For those just joining this rodeo, here’s a recap:
’07 GTI (2.0T FSI BPY Engine) with ~90,000 miles on the clock. At about 80k miles the engine started excessive, extreme oil consumption. At the peak when I took it to the dealer it was consuming 1 qt every 100 miles. (No typo, 1 qt. every 100 miles). Light smoke came out the exhaust during all driving, and extreme smoke would billow out under boost.

Along the way I replaced the turbo, the PCV valves, and the DV. I did compression tests and all cylinders were w/in new spec per the Bentley. I did a ½ dozen piston ring soaks hoping that maybe the oil rings were stuck and could be freed up.

All this was to no avail, I finally gave up and too it to the dealer for them to look over.
Verdict: IT WAS THE VALVE COVER. Not the gasket, the cover itself. Reference this excellent thread from Audizine on the valve cover:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...he-Valve-Cover-(Pics-Video)-2nd-oil-separator

Basically, our valve cover is hollow plastic with various channels and baffles for channeling the PCV air under various conditions of vacuum and boost. Mine was cracked a lot and had broken baffles in there. I was sucking all that oil through the VC and into the manifold and into the engine.

Dealer replaced the VC and ran the oil consumption test. Perfect. Zero drop in oil and no smoking.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Update and Final Solution:

For those just joining this rodeo, here’s a recap:
’07 GTI (2.0T FSI BPY Engine) with ~90,000 miles on the clock. At about 80k miles the engine started excessive, extreme oil consumption. At the peak when I took it to the dealer it was consuming 1 qt every 100 miles. (No typo, 1 qt. every 100 miles). Light smoke came out the exhaust during all driving, and extreme smoke would billow out under boost.

Along the way I replaced the turbo, the PCV valves, and the DV. I did compression tests and all cylinders were w/in new spec per the Bentley. I did a ½ dozen piston ring soaks hoping that maybe the oil rings were stuck and could be freed up.

All this was to no avail, I finally gave up and too it to the dealer for them to look over.
Verdict: IT WAS THE VALVE COVER. Not the gasket, the cover itself. Reference this excellent thread from Audizine on the valve cover:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...he-Valve-Cover-(Pics-Video)-2nd-oil-separator

Basically, our valve cover is hollow plastic with various channels and baffles for channeling the PCV air under various conditions of vacuum and boost. Mine was cracked a lot and had broken baffles in there. I was sucking all that oil through the VC and into the manifold and into the engine.

Dealer replaced the VC and ran the oil consumption test. Perfect. Zero drop in oil and no smoking.
HAHA thats hilarious. GG volkswagen. go figure

·
Registered
603 Posts
Valve cover changes?

Heya,

I took my valve cover off and resealed the questionable gaps noted in that audizine thread. While I was in there, I packed some steel wool into the oil separator compartment in order to try and help capture more of the mist before it gets sucked through the PCV and into the intake. It seems to have helped somewhat, but I'm still burning oil (I was at 1qt/750 miles, now I'm at 1qt every ~1500). Can you tell me what led the dealer to go down the valve cover path? Aside from the cracks, is there something they mentioned that might be different in the newer versions of the valve cover design that cause it to separate oil mist better than the old version? I'd think they started packing them with some sort of foam breather material to increase the efficiency, but I figured I'd ask the question before pulling the $200+ trigger on something that might not fix the issue.

Thanks in advance,
Allyn

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heya,

I took my valve cover off and resealed the questionable gaps noted in that audizine thread. While I was in there, I packed some steel wool into the oil separator compartment in order to try and help capture more of the mist before it gets sucked through the PCV and into the intake. It seems to have helped somewhat, but I'm still burning oil (I was at 1qt/750 miles, now I'm at 1qt every ~1500). Can you tell me what led the dealer to go down the valve cover path? Aside from the cracks, is there something they mentioned that might be different in the newer versions of the valve cover design that cause it to separate oil mist better than the old version? I'd think they started packing them with some sort of foam breather material to increase the efficiency, but I figured I'd ask the question before pulling the $200+ trigger on something that might not fix the issue.

Thanks in advance,
Allyn

I'm not sure what specifically led the dealer to pursue the VC route. I have a good rep with the service manager and had been talking to him quite a bit as I replaced all the other bits and pieces along the way myself (PCV, DV, Turbo, etc). Perhaps it was just the only thing that hadn't been done. Since the next step was rings I thought maybe they felt it was worth a shot since the cost was so much less than rings.

As to whether or not it is a 'new' or revised design I do not know. All I know for sure was that the old one was cracked and broken 6 ways to Sunday.

I would definitely consider replacing it. Because of that design the VC goes through many cycles of boost/vacuum internally so repairs to the seals and baffles won't last long through those cycles, especially when you add in the heat. Even if it's $200, that's not long before the new VC has paid for itself in saved oil burned/lost.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And for those following;

I'm now 4000 miles since the VC was replaced and I have not had to add any oil, none what so ever....

·
Registered
891 Posts
Good info here! I have 193k miles on my FSI BPY engine and have had oil consumption issues for as long as I can remember. Rebuilt the turbo, changed DV, BSH stage 2 PCV revamp with catch can, to no avail. Heck, my catch can doesn't even get any oil in it.

I picked up an extra BPY engine & DSG trans a few years ago figuring I would need it at one point or another. The motor only has 25k miles on it so I think I'll try swapping the valve covers this weekend to see if there's any improvement.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I haven't gotten around to changing the valve cover yet, still waiting on the gasket. I did change my plugs however and noticed that cylinder 4 is just covered in oil. I inspected and cleaned them no more than 2 weeks ago as well. All other plugs/cylinders looked normal. I was planning to do a compression test very soon. Could this possibly be caused by the likely broken PCV passages inside the valve cover? It is right where the broken passages would be after all...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It certainly possible. That was my experience, my plugs looked like that and worse. For me number 3 was soaking wet with oil.

since replacing my cover I have zero oil loss over 5000 mile OCI, and my plugs stay dry.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I haven't gotten around to changing the valve cover yet, still waiting on the gasket. I did change my plugs however and noticed that cylinder 4 is just covered in oil. I inspected and cleaned them no more than 2 weeks ago as well. All other plugs/cylinders looked normal. I was planning to do a compression test very soon. Could this possibly be caused by the likely broken PCV passages inside the valve cover? It is right where the broken passages would be after all...
The oil could make it into #4 from there, but it would be because the PCV vents to the right side of the intake when under vacuum. That said, you'd figure it would make it to more than just #4 in that case. If you remove the tube from the right side of the intake and oil pours out, well, that's likely the cause (from the valve cover).

·
Registered
891 Posts
This thread helped me solve my own oil consumption issue. I was also burning 1qt every 200 miles. I replaced the valve cover and 600 miles later and I haven't lost a drop.

Here's a thread I created on MK5forums... I hope this helps someone in a similar situation..
http://www.golfmk5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186289
After checking this I'm now starting to think the compression test might show what I don't wanna see... But with 193k miles I doubt my valve cover is in great shape either :beer:

·
Registered
603 Posts
The big tube on the right side of BSH plate?
Oh, you have the BSH PCV installed, which means you have the cap on the intake instead of the tube. This means any oil coming from the valve cover (that makes it past the catch can) would go straight to the intake at the turbo and would be distributed to all 4 cylinders. In your case I would doubt the valve cover was causing fouled plugs on #4 specifically (it would be all 4).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts