VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mitsubishi was doing some direct injection years ago. It's already been posted that Mazda has a direct injected engine out. Isuzu has had their DI V6 out for year 2 now.
The main gain has been emissions and and slight fuel economy gains with a slight power increase.
I think I'll hang onto my MK4 a play a little when the warranty runs out.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif For the IRS finally on a contemporary VW.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Re: FSI is not that entirely new. (A3VWJetta2.0)

Audi reported as being the first to bring it to America and the first to couple it with turbocharging. Direct injection has actually been around for a long time. The companies I remember off the top of my head that have played around with it in the past are Mercedes and Ford. I might be wrong, but either way the concept has been around since at least the 60s or 70s. Maybe even farther back. But without the electronics we have today, they just couldn't control it. I might have the majority of my details wrong, but you get the idea that it has been around long before Mitsubishi finally got it to work properly.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Re: FSI is not that entirely new. (yzfwv)

Quote, originally posted by yzfwv »
they claimed fsi. Other companies could have done it differently and audi would have been the first with the fsi method.

But true FSI doesn't even exist in the Us it just happens to be direct injection its not stratified like it is on the NA motors over in europe.
They are the first to market and sell a direct injection gasoline engine is what it really comes down to.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I believe that Henry Ford metered fuel directly into the cylinder of his very first successful engine test with an eye-dropper (actually Clara may have wielded the dropper - smart man!). Carbs had not yet been invented.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: (bobqzzi)

I've said it before - it doesn't matter who was first - it's who does it best. VW/Audi are now far ahead with direct injection. Sure Toyota & Mitsubishi have been doing it for 10 years, but how many production (not specialty or limited market) vehicles do they sell with direct injection?
In terms of engine models, half of VW/Audi motors here are FSI (2.0T FSI, 3.2 FSI and the VR6 3.6 FSI). The only motors that aren't FSI are the 2.5L, 4.2L and 6.0L (and the 4.2L will be FSI next year).
In terms of volume, most VW/Audi vehicles will have an FSI engine.
Lean burn isn't the only reason for direct injection. Take the 2.0T as an example. This engine makes good power, has excellent drivability and gets good mileage. So what if FSI doesn't have lean burn - it still adds worthwhile benefits. When lean burn does finally get implemented, these already good engines will get even better. Plus VW/Audi are taking advantage of economies of scale by implementing FSI across a wide range of engines.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re: (PD Performance)

Quote, originally posted by PD Performance »

Good poewr and excellent drivability yes.. god gas milage definitly not...
You're kidding, right? Maybe you should look at some other 200 HP cars and see how much gas they consume compared to vehicles with the 2.0T.
Jetta 2.0T 6 Spd - 24/32
A4Q 2.0T 6 Spd - 22/31
TSX 6 Spd - 21/30
So the A4 has an AWD drivetrain and weighs several hundred pounds more yet it still gets slightly better mileage than the TSX with the much vaunted fuel sipping Honda engine. The Jetta weighs the same as the TSX, but has a 0.33 Cd versus the slippery 0.27 of the TSX (both cars are close on frontal area, but the Jetta is actually slighly bigger).
When compared to cars in the same class and of similar size, the 2.0T does very well.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Re: (dangonay)

Quote, originally posted by dangonay »
You're kidding, right? Maybe you should look at some other 200 HP cars and see how much gas they consume compared to vehicles with the 2.0T.

Kidding you? no absolutely not.. I've got 9000 miles of real world driving in mine not quoted numbers.. I"ve had all of 2 tanks get me to over 300 miles per tank Thats generally with about 13.5 gallons to a fill up... My 1.8T jetta running a GT28R (now has an RS but hasn't been driven yet) untuned running 42lbs injectors gets 300miles to a tank without batting an eye..
so sorry but the 2.0T is not getting good gas mileage.

Once you have actually owned one for 6 months get back to me.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Re: (PD Performance)

Quote, originally posted by PD Performance »
I"ve had all of 2 tanks get me to over 300 miles per tank ... so sorry but the 2.0T is not getting good gas mileage.

There's something wrong then, you should be getting a lot more than 300 miles per tank (which is about 480km for us canucks north of the border). On average, I can get about 600km (370 miles) if I ran the tank dry in city/highway driving with a heavy foot and highway alone easily 460+ miles per tank.
But yeah, bring the diesels... I'm all for it. Especially after seeing my friend's chipped BMW 320d get over 1000km on a tank and while doing 160km+ sprints on the autobahn.

Audi though is the first to marry FSI and turbocharging from what I know so far.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Re: (Tanner74)

Quote, originally posted by Tanner74 »

There's something wrong then, you should be getting a lot more than 300 miles per tank (which is about 480km for us canucks north of the border). On average, I can get about 600km (370 miles) if I ran the tank dry in city/highway driving with a heavy foot and highway alone easily 460+ miles per tank.

I think there is some confusion here.. Your A4 probalby has a larger tank then my A3 which will attribute some of the difference.

·
Registered
9,010 Posts
Re: FSI is not that entirely new. (slickfisher)

... TDI anyone? VW themselves have been doing it for a long time.
TDI = Turbo Direct Injection.
The 2.0T is not stratified either, just directly injected.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.