VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so i'm getting under 300 KM (190 Miles) to a tank
Not good. I've got big 440 cc injectors which is deffinitly not helping.
First off i'm not making any good power, on 12 psi of boost. My co pot is set at 500 my air fuel says i'm usually running in stoich just into rich from 50 percent wot and up.
I'm gonna be doing my cap, rotor and new plugs today/tomorrow, and im thinking of putting the co to 600
any other ideas as to wehre all my fuel is going?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Fuel economy down the pipes (bulldog2.G)

yeah i know it sounds wacky. i have an audi 5000 turbo mani on the head, and with the increased flow i lose like 3 pounds of boost for better flow

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Re: Fuel economy down the pipes (bulldog2.G)

Quote, originally posted by bulldog2.G »
440'S ON 12PSI??

ignore people like this, as they aren't aware of how a setup is tuned.

Having lower psi won't effect the size of the injectors and how they are tuned. The larger will allow you to put more boost through the motor, but it doesn't mean you HAVE to be putting more boost through. Obviously a 42lb setup needs to be tuned for low or no boost situations too.
you should get some wideband time and see whats going on.
use all the normal faq stuff to diagnos whats going on.

Modified by TBT-PassatG60 at 5:12 PM 9-27-2004

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Fuel economy down the pipes (TBT-PassatG60)

A wideband would be a good call. i'm really not familiar what a wideband does. i know it takes readings from the 02 but i figure thats what my af is doing. what i'd really like to know is why my car will jump to rich when i'm at 50% wot, then as soon as i back off the throttle to like 40% percent and down the af goes right to lean and stays there. Can the wide band tell me what my boost/fuel is doing at any given point on the torque curve?(if i was on a dyno)
Thanx TBT

PS extra side note here, what about timing? what if i jumped a tooth? would that just put all my numbers out of wacK? if a tooth is off wouldn't i be washing my cyl walls with fule and not burning it at the proper time? does this sound right at all?

Modified by G'D60 at 1:20 AM 9-28-2004

·
Registered
20,415 Posts
Re: Fuel economy down the pipes (G'D60)

yes, with data logging the wideband will give you readings tied to your rpm. You should make sure though that your fuel pressure and all other variables are set properly first though. If you take it to a garage that has a 3 gas analyzer you'll be able to set your base CO reading appropriately.
With your A/F gauge you should check to make sure that the WOT and idle switches are working properly.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Fuel economy down the pipes (mrkrad)

The swing motion in the AF is shotty. Anything above half throttle it likes to stay in the rich, then under half throttle it'll dip and bog heavily in the lean until i put in the clutch in and let the af fix its self on idle. then i'll drop the clutch and she'll be okay (good swing motion)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.