VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie looking at a 18 SportWagen, 1.8L auto, best I can gather is that this car should average about 9.0L per 100km, does that sound right?

Honestly I would have though it got better mileage than that, no?

·
Registered
95 Posts
All of y’all using metric will have to convert this. I have’17 GSW 1.8 fwd. On average probably 50/50 hwy/city. Using only minor gas saving techniques it’s easy to make 36-38 mpg. Longer distance at 60-65 mph have made 40 mpg. Full tank on interstate at 75+ drops to 34 or so.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I average about 9.0L/100KM combined in my Alltrack, granted, my "city driving" is to and from work and to the grocery store, which is more or less in a straight line, and I drive very conservatively - timing traffic lights to reduce the chances of coming to a full stop . If I do straight highway driving, I can get it down to about 7.0L/100KM. My personal record was 6.5L/100KM which netted me about just over 700kms on a tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 2018 1.8L EA888 Gen 3, GSW 4Mo S averages about 12.3 km/L in mixed driving
Wow, my 8600 pound Ram 3500 with the Cummins 6.7 gets that (highway driving), holey moley!!!!

I average about 9.0L/100KM combined in my Alltrack, granted, my "city driving" is to and from work and to the grocery store, which is more or less in a straight line, and I drive very conservatively - timing traffic lights to reduce the chances of coming to a full stop . If I do straight highway driving, I can get it down to about 7.0L/100KM. My personal record was 6.5L/100KM which netted me about just over 700kms on a tank.
Thats what gets me interested in buying this car!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm averaging around 8L/100km (if the online MPG calculators are correct) on winter tires, over the course of the winter. Most of my trips involve having the engine run about 20 minutes at a time through suburban traffic. I expect the fuel economy to improve when I put the summer tires back on the car and I take longer drives in warmer weather. Mine's a '19 GSW 1.8L 4-motion manual.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm averaging around 8L/100km (if the online MPG calculators are correct) on winter tires, over the course of the winter. Most of my trips involve having the engine run about 20 minutes at a time through suburban traffic. I expect the fuel economy to improve when I put the summer tires back on the car and I take longer drives in warmer weather. Mine's a '19 GSW 1.8L 4-motion manual.
Man, that's pretty good!

·
Registered
2019 AllTrack
172 Posts
I've just returned from a 4,984 mile trip from upstate NY to AZ and back, driving out the southern route and returning the northern route through the Rocky Mnts. My SEL performed admirably. I was surprised at the fine gas mileage from start to finish. I kept close track of my gas use and miles driven. I averaged 32.5 mpg--90% at highway speeds, the rest poking around.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've just returned from a 4,984 mile trip from upstate NY to AZ and back, driving out the southern route and returning the northern route through the Rocky Mnts. My SEL performed admirably. I was surprised at the fine gas mileage from start to finish. I kept close track of my gas use and miles driven. I averaged 32.5 mpg--90% at highway speeds, the rest poking around.
Thats 7.24L/100km, pretty dang good!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts