VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Fuel economy

3K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  raggdoll 
#1 ·
Newbie looking at a 18 SportWagen, 1.8L auto, best I can gather is that this car should average about 9.0L per 100km, does that sound right?

Honestly I would have though it got better mileage than that, no?

#14 ·
Wow, my 8600 pound Ram 3500 with the Cummins 6.7 gets that (highway driving), holey moley!!!!

I average about 9.0L/100KM combined in my Alltrack, granted, my "city driving" is to and from work and to the grocery store, which is more or less in a straight line, and I drive very conservatively - timing traffic lights to reduce the chances of coming to a full stop . If I do straight highway driving, I can get it down to about 7.0L/100KM. My personal record was 6.5L/100KM which netted me about just over 700kms on a tank.
Thats what gets me interested in buying this car!!!

#12 ·
All of y’all using metric will have to convert this. I have’17 GSW 1.8 fwd. On average probably 50/50 hwy/city. Using only minor gas saving techniques it’s easy to make 36-38 mpg. Longer distance at 60-65 mph have made 40 mpg. Full tank on interstate at 75+ drops to 34 or so.

Reactions: maxeymum
#13 ·
I average about 9.0L/100KM combined in my Alltrack, granted, my "city driving" is to and from work and to the grocery store, which is more or less in a straight line, and I drive very conservatively - timing traffic lights to reduce the chances of coming to a full stop . If I do straight highway driving, I can get it down to about 7.0L/100KM. My personal record was 6.5L/100KM which netted me about just over 700kms on a tank.

#17 ·
I'm averaging around 8L/100km (if the online MPG calculators are correct) on winter tires, over the course of the winter. Most of my trips involve having the engine run about 20 minutes at a time through suburban traffic. I expect the fuel economy to improve when I put the summer tires back on the car and I take longer drives in warmer weather. Mine's a '19 GSW 1.8L 4-motion manual.

#19 ·
I've just returned from a 4,984 mile trip from upstate NY to AZ and back, driving out the southern route and returning the northern route through the Rocky Mnts. My SEL performed admirably. I was surprised at the fine gas mileage from start to finish. I kept close track of my gas use and miles driven. I averaged 32.5 mpg--90% at highway speeds, the rest poking around.

#22 ·
Newbie looking at a 18 SportWagen, 1.8L auto, best I can gather is that this car should average about 9.0L per 100km, does that sound right?

Honestly I would have though it got better mileage than that, no?
I own a 17 GSW 4motion 6 speed. 80-90% of my driving is done at highway speed with little traffic and a constant 110 kmh on cruise control, and my average consumption is 7.13L per 100Km, I have seen it as low as 5.6L per 100Km on a longer journey with just one passenger and no additional weight, but that is a rare occurrence. I will say, as soon as city driving increase to where it's more a 60-70% highway and the rest city, my average consumption dropped considerably to around 8 to 9L per 100km, so I would say your experience is on par of what I would expect.

#23 · (Edited)
2017 Alltrack with Stage 1+ Unitronics installed, running 93 octane... getting about 27/28 mpg ((or ~11.48 Kilometers per Liter - (if the internet is correct) on ~500 mile)) trips (usually loaded to the gunnels (gunnels are Navy talk 😀 for those who may not know) ..i.e. you could not put more that an additional toothpick in car ;) ... not super good, but good enough for 254HP... that makes climbing all those hills from the Mid-Atlantic to New England a breeze.

#24 ·
I average 28.5 mpg for a '16 VW Golf Sportwagen TSI SEL; most driving is ~15mi for work (30mi round trip). City/Highway % is 50/50. Best Highway is 39.6 mpg. I currently have 62k on the odometer and have owned the car since new. I normally average 32-35 mpg on my long trips (8 hrs/525mi) that I do a couple of times a year. I noticed a slight increase in my MPG since getting my APR 1 85 octane tune . . . believe it or not!

#30 ·
I noticed a slight increase in my MPG since getting my APR 1 85 octane tune . . . believe it or not!
Did you mean APR stage 1 87 octane tune? I've played with the idea of getting either the APR 87 or 91 tune before. Most APR 87 reviews have been very positive and include reports of a slightly better fuel economy when driven for economy.

#25 · (Edited)
I got 50+ mpg actual hand calculated once driving from Augusta Maine to Bangor Maine on I-95. That section isn't even totally flat. There's a few hills. Traffic was low, so I could maintain a constant 55 mph. The 55.5 mpg is a bit optimistic (7.1%) but that's still 51.56 mpg actual (or 4.56 l / 100 km actual). This from a 1.8 TSI 5MT running 87 octane. This was using the stock 15 inch Lyon wheels and 195 65 15 tires at 38 psi.

Vehicle Car Vehicle audio Personal luxury car Audio equipment

#32 ·
Not to be mean, but you should be flogged for driving 55 MPH on 95 from Augusta to Bangor, that's just plain unsafe. Why didn't you take 202? That's a least more reasonable vs driving 20-35mph under traffic speeds.

#27 ·
Drove home yesterday, total of about 595km - I usually average 6.5l/100km on that trip - just for the heck of it, took off the bike rack and cross bars and left them at home, turned off the A/C, kept all the windows closed, after all that, the difference was only 0.1l/100km.

One thing I've never figured out is that whole Blue Score thing in the infotainment. Best I ever get on the highway is about 84 - but if I let it sit and idle, the score goes up - which makes zero sense to me.

#28 ·
That Blue Score thing is absolute nonsense. I think it's just there in an attempt just to make people feel good or something. That day that I broke 50 mpg as well as the time I got 518 miles out of a tank (without going past 0), my blue score was in the mid 80s. When I drive a bit more normal (without hypermiling), my mileage drops to 37 mpg combined but my blue score then goes to 99. Go figure?

#34 ·
Well, after a lifetime of muscle cars, Vettes, pick ups, SUV's and big American sedans, I finally get to see this...
Car Vehicle White Light Automotive design

...this being my first ever "economy" car. I needed something great on gas, I'm soooooo glad I did my research first and found this Sportwagen, which ticks off way more boxes than any Toyota, Honda or Hyundai ever could.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

#37 ·
I have a 2017 1.8 SportWagen FWD auto and I probably average around 7.5L/100km. 8.5 would be the absolute worst in the winter in bad stop and go traffic. The best I’ve gotten was 5.6L/100km on a 60km (mainly highway) trip. I find it quite easy to get 6.0L/100km in the warmer weather with highway driving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.