VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think i may have clogged my filter running the diesel kleen or something like that, prolly way to much of it for such an old 81 rabbit.
so any idea where the filter is and any good brands to replace it with or ones to avoid?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Re: fuel filter location? filters to avoid for diesel? (caseyhalone)

Back before I knew Fram was bad news, I got a Fram fuel filter. Thing has no tap on the bottom to drain the water out (there is a bolt looking thing, but it doesn't unscrew). So avoid Fram, at least.
It's usually mounted on the passenger side shock tower, but I have also seen it on the firewall. Removing the plastic intake cover will improve access to the filter.

·
Banned
7,987 Posts

I never drain my fuel filters. I've checked them upon changing and have never gotten any water. As long as you buy quality fuel, you'll never have water issues. I never drained the filter even when I was a semi-truck driver. Good fuel = no water.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Re: fuel filter location? filters to avoid for diesel? (RatRedux)

Quote, originally posted by RatRedux »
Good fuel = no water.
For the most part this is true, but if you let your car sit a lot with less than a full tank of fuel, moisture will condense on the inside of your tank and eventually build up into droplets and wind up in your filter.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

I have never found water in the underhood fuel filter either. Check under your car to see if you have a water separator. Mine is underneath the rear seat, passenger side. It might make the drain at the bottom of the underhood filter redundant and therefore unnecessary which may be why it was said that Fram does not have the drain. I don't know what other years have this under the car water separator.
The bleeder screw in the separator appears to be made of Celcon plastic; has a small diameter thread and a large cap. I can't believe that a German engineer designed this and let it go out the door. Mine broke a long time ago with no unusual handling so I stretched wires around it to hold the cap on and have ignored it for years. I should check it for water this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.