VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help Me!! fuel gauge

So heres the thing...I had just under half a tank of gas left, I decided to bite the bullet and pay 72 cents (thats a litre and in canadian dollars) and throw in 20 bucks. I did my thing, paid and started the car, only to find the needle in the same place, just under half a tank. I thought, fudge, maybe they screwed me and didnt give me any gas. so i went to the next station down the road, and topped it off with another 5 bones. And still the needle is AT THE SAME POINT!!! now, my q is this, is it my float in the tank that is screed or is it the needle is stuck?? any ideas???
thanks for the help
Mugs

[Modified by Mugs, 5:47 AM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Help Me!! fuel gauge (Mugs)

Does the needle go down when you turn the key off? shouldn't be stuck then. The sender might be stuck. might as well try reseating the harness over the transfer pump, ya never know.

·
Registered
9,699 Posts

$25CND just to get a half a tank?! Am I missing something here? I mean, yeah, if the gauge was stuck amybe you needed a full tank. But even so, wow, that EXPENSIVE! (Or a really big tank!)

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Help Me!! fuel gauge (fiorya)

Actually, he already said that was 72c/L cdn. That's only like 50c US. An US gallon is... 3.78L or so, which is around $1.85/gallon. Hardly a big price.
And it's not our fault that Europeans like to add 5x the actual cost of gasoline in taxes
It's bad enough that 67% of the price for gas here in the US is taxes.

·
Banned
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Help Me!! fuel gauge (negativl)

1.85 a gallon?!?!? wow! thats a lot. i remember taking roads trips to Buffalo for wings, like 2 or 3 years a go, and gas being 1.15 or 1.25 at most!!
How much is gas in the rest of the USA or Canada for that matter???

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: Help Me!! fuel gauge (negativl)

quote:[HR][/HR]which is around $1.85/gallon. Hardly a big price.[HR][/HR]​
For Cali Maybe!!!
3 or 4 years ago when I was living in Atlanta, I paid $0.749 per GALLON. I still have the receipt!

I guess those days are over...

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

it's high, but not insane. We have like 3 different forumalations of automotive gasoline now (normal, winter/ethanol-enhanced/etc, and RFG2) that keep the supply lines confused most of the year. There's quite a bit of regional variation, as well. Out here in California, 87 octane has ranged from $1.20 to over $2/G in the previous 12 months, averaging around $1.65 presently. We also get 89 and 91/92 octane, at roughly 10 additional cents/gallon (so 1.75 and 1.85 currently).
For octane numbers, US ratings are an average of Research and Motor methods - (R+M)/2) - Lots of countries use just the Research number, which is usually higher than the Motor method.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Re: Help Me!! fuel gauge (vdubturbo)

quote:[HR][/HR]which is around $1.85/gallon. Hardly a big price.
For Cali Maybe!!!
3 or 4 years ago when I was living in Atlanta, I paid $0.749 per GALLON. I still have the receipt!

I guess those days are over...
[HR][/HR]​
3 or 4 years is a long time. It wasn't that long ago that California reached $0.99/G either. That was before new gas taxes, before RFG2, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.