VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had not been using my car for a few weeks, then I took it out on a 20-30 min trip, and suddenly it said it need fuel, and the gauge was on empty. I put 15 bucks in and drove it back, and watched the gas needle drop from a quarter above half to half, and the trip computer go from 160-145 miles per tank in like ten minutes, this can't be normal.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gauge moved from a quarter above half to exactly half, or the middle of the dial, within ten or so minutes of driving. I had also heard a strange sucking noise coming from the rear of the car weeks earlier?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The gauge moved from a quarter above half to exactly half, or the middle of the dial, within ten or so minutes of driving. I had also heard a strange sucking noise coming from the rear of the car weeks earlier?
You realize that makes no sense, do you mean 3/4 of a tank or 1/4 of the way between 1/2 and 5/8?
And you might need a new fuel gauge...

·
Registered
71 Posts
The fuel gauge on my jetta has never seemed particularly linear. I'll get 100 miles from full down to 3/4, then it will plummet, getting about another hundred going from 3/4 to 1/4, then I'll get another 75 or so on the last 1/4.

If you're really worried about it, do what normal people do: Fill the tank, reset the trip odometer, next time you fill, divide miles on trip odometer by gallons it takes to fill it up again. Then you have an actual data point to ask about.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, it seemed like an error to me, and it was very surprising to see the gauge plummet from normal to empty, followed by the please refuel warning (low fuel). could this be from a fuel pump issue.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
well, it seemed like an error to me, and it was very surprising to see the gauge plummet from normal to empty, followed by the please refuel warning (low fuel). could this be from a fuel pump issue.

OP, i have the same issue you have described in my 2003 GTi. I, too, am thinking it is a fuel pump issue. i know there is a "float" similar to a toilet that is attatched to the pump in tank. i wonder if the sensor is going bad, fuel pump is going bad, or the float/float arm has crud on it.

I am really trying to avoid replacing the fuel pump, i can't find a great deal on a new one, and used is a crap shoot.

Good luck bro.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
OP, i have the same issue you have described in my 2003 GTi. I, too, am thinking it is a fuel pump issue. i know there is a "float" similar to a toilet that is attatched to the pump in tank. i wonder if the sensor is going bad, fuel pump is going bad, or the float/float arm has crud on it.

I am really trying to avoid replacing the fuel pump, i can't find a great deal on a new one, and used is a crap shoot.

Good luck bro.
A way you could check if its the sensor or not, is to wait till your low fuel light comes on, go to a gas station and fill the tank until the nozzle clicks telling you your tank is full, then see how much gas you put in... normally your car should be able to hold 14 gallons.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it seemed to happen with a lower fuel amount, is there two parts to the pump that draws fuel from the tank? would that cause it to display errors in fuel economy as well? I have noticed that it has been getting worse and worse mileage? I thought it was my old tires.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
ok again fill the tank up drive it till it says empty refill. take the amount of gas pumped to full the tank and divide it in to the miles driven that is your MPG your gauge isn't 100% accurate. don't bother posting again until you do this cause you will not get answers.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
It's really sad how some of the kids here can't even do simple math. one quarter past half is three quarters... Do you really need someone to ****in spell it out for you?
1. How he had it written out it made no sense...
2. After Geometry simple math is almost never used... everything nowadays is teaching the kids how to take a standarized test that proves nothing, means nothing, does nothing(but waste our time, and is hurting the education of young people. At the high school I graduated from, even my Calc. 3 teacher had to give us a FCAT (Florida's standardized test) practice test every week.
3. You should try taking statics and dynamics and let me know how that goes:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
1. How he had it written out it made no sense...
2. After Geometry simple math is almost never used... everything nowadays is teaching the kids how to take a standarized test that proves nothing, means nothing, does nothing(but waste our time, and is hurting the education of young people. At the high school I graduated from, even my Calc. 3 teacher had to give us a FCAT (Florida's standardized test) practice test every week.
3. You should try taking statics and dynamics and let me know how that goes:thumbup:
Haha statics and dynamics is easy, it gets more complicated when you get into FEA and gas dynamics 4 while doing your mechanical engineering degree specializing in fluids :p

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Haha statics and dynamics is easy, it gets more complicated when you get into FEA and gas dynamics 4 while doing your mechanical engineering degree specializing in fluids :p
I was going into electrical, mechanical, and aeronautical, some similar classes plus more desireable but with the space center closing soon, I decided there would be less bs work in the culinary field. Plus I've always loved to cook and would like to have my own restaurant in the next 10 years. And as for fluid mechanics, f that ish too much going on with the properties of fluids at different temperatures and compounds.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts