VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I have a 1980 MK1 and all the steel fuel lines under the passenger side ar rusted out. Has anyone replaced these? What did you use? Where did you get it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
JP

·
Banned
4,709 Posts
Re: Fuel line help-MK1 (jaypee77)

Napa has them http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Ditto with the brake lines http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-Rob

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Fuel line help-MK1 (MK1Scirocco1980)

Napa has the tubing that you can bend or the actual pre-made lines? Thanks again.
JP

·
Registered
10,608 Posts

AFAIK, no one has pre-bent lines. I've used 5/16" o.d. steel tubing, bend it up and connect the ends with 5/16" i.d. neoprene fuel hose and doubled up on the hose clamps.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

It's that time of year again and time to revive this thread. I still haven't gotten around to bending new tubing for the fuel lines, but plan on doing it soon. I see that others have accomplished the task and I see some such as Kirsten (funksoulkitty) have found replacement fittings for the ends of the lines. Where can I get them so that I can attach the new lines to the line from the fuel accumulator, etc.? Thanks.
JP

·
Registered
5,433 Posts

To jump on this thread ... go to your local hardware store or rental shop and buy a tubing bender and go at it. There is also a flairing tool to put the flair (little bump) at the end if you needed it.
Should be able to buy both tools for under $75-100

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Fuel line help-MK1 (imolababy v.2)

Yes, I know. What I want to know is where to find the correct fittings for the end of the lines. Thanks.\
JP

·
Registered
764 Posts

I don't know that the fittings for the fuel accumulator etc. are still available (but I could be wrong). On Shocky, the new lines mate up to a section of the old lines using compression fittings.

However, I have been warned by Allyn on the Scirocco list that using compression fittings is not safe. He gave me some part numbers to use instead but I have yet to go and get them and switch them over.
I have actually decided to revamp the fuel system and plumbing entirely although I haven't finalized which route I am going to take.

·
Registered
19,447 Posts
Re: Fuel line help-MK1 (funksoulkitty)

Sorry don't mean to hi-jack but this will only take a min...
What size exhaust are you running??

·
Registered
19,447 Posts

Custom made or TT???

·
Registered
19,447 Posts

Thanks Kirsten
Back to Fuel line help

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Oh, so you just put new fittings onto the old line. Ok, thanks Kirsten. It seems like the right size metric fitting should be available somewhere. I'd like to be able to mate the new lines to the flexible braided lines in the back. I just don't know where to buy the fittings.
JP

·
Registered
536 Posts

Quote, originally posted by funksoulkitty »
However, I have been warned by Allyn on the Scirocco list that using compression fittings is not safe.

Any idea why that is? I'm running with brass compression fittings right now...
Also, has anybody used plastic tubing instead of steel? It's certainly easier to work with...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts