VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright - first off let me say i'm new to the MkI world and i have been using the search a bit to find out the answer to this question. I'm sure this has been beaten to death (it likely the Vr6 vs 1.8T topic of the MkI world) but here goes.
What are the different options for Fuel Man for a 16v what are some of the benifits of each
i have heard of -
CIS
CIS E
Digifant
Motronic
Jetronic
(are there others?, and what are these ones found in)
I have a vauge understanding of CIS (it's in my audi coupe gt)
can some one point me in the direction of an archive thread that reviews these different setups ? also the research is for mating a 16v in my 81 rabbit eventually to a turbo setup.
what i have been told so far is to look at switching to digifant as it is better on milage and can produce more power with its injectors rather than "throwing fuel at the engine" with CIS.
let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Re: Fuel Management options with a 16v Swap (Driverwanted)

From what I've heard digi SUX. I've been told it runs rich and that CIS is one of the best fuel systems VW ever made. I know a few people with the CIS and a turbo setup on a 16V. If u REALLY WANTED TOO u can throw a 2.0 from a 95 jetta or something in a 81 with the cross flow setup. and use a A4 intake cause it goes to the driver side and not the passanger like the A3 does. But IMO CIS is the best system I've used in a VW. I have had the Digi and I get better gas millage on the CIS as far as the CIS-E goes not really a inprovement on the CIS. Sorry but I don't have any links for ya just my 2 cents and input.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts
Re: Fuel Management options with a 16v Swap (Socialoutcast)

Hmmmm....Dear Sir....go straight to Books a Million or the like and by "How to Modify and Tune BOSCH fuel management."
Here's a break down and in NO WAY should I be taken by my word:
There are many different forms of CIS. Basically...if you have a fuel distributor...you have some form of CIS. So then...when we first got rabbits they where bare bones systems with no 02 sensor. Jetronic w/lambda came out which is CIS with an 02 sensor(very common).
VW went to CIS-E in the 85 Golf GTI(used in rocco 16vs too) for use that got rid of the WUR/CPR on the block and switched to a potentimeter setup on the fuel dizzy and now had an ISV(idle stabilizer valve). The system is limited to it's tuning capabilities though
On the 2.0 16Vs, VW incorportated it's final state of CIS for America which is CIS-Motronic. I'm not quite sure what makes it so different but I do know that it is chippable so that's a plus?
Digifant does not suck like everyone says it does. It's a system that just doesn't have room for user error. I've drivin many digi cars and loved them. CIS is easier to tune and cheaper to repair but digi is a fine system. All you need to know is that Digifant I is used by VWOA in the G60 Corrado making it good for forced induced cars. Digifant II is found on a TON of cars so I won't waste my time.
AFAIK Motronic came to us on the a3 cars and that's where my knowledge ends. After OBD1 I'm all
but more like a little

PLEASE do yourself a favor and read that book. Also you need to find the official 16V thread from this forum.
Lastly...CIS or CIS-E will be the easiest to install, CIS-Motronic will be next followed by either digi setup or motronic
16Vs RAWK!
Jason

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Fuel Management options with a 16v Swap (vdubspeed)

This is great Jason, thanks so much... i'm always looking to increase my book selection. So thank-you i'll work my way through the 16v Thread too.
My friend that is recommending the Digi set up has a G60 swap in a 84 jetta.
I would have thought the CIS would have been more expensive just because of the High pressure fuel pump. but again thanks for the info.
anyone else have an opinion about Digi and CIS Cheers
Mike
EDIT - ORDERED as of 5 minutes ago.

Modified by Driverwanted at 8:00 AM 6-19-2004

·
Registered
20,933 Posts

Cool! I'm glad you ordered that book. It's a great tool on the shelf and in the garage.
Anyway...here's my opinion on doing a 16V.
If you are just going to keep tuning to a minimum...then just stay with CIS-E. I have it and it works GREAT. If you plan on going adding any kind of forced induction then you need to do digi 1. I really don't see any advantage to adding digi 2. Use CIS-Motronic only if your parts car came with that setup.
OR you can really kick some a$$ and buy stand alone. SDS BABY!!!
Jason

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Fuel Management options with a 16v Swap (vdubspeed)

You raise an interesting question there.
We will be going with a turbo setup in the future - so is it really worth the change to digi if we will likely run SDS or Tec down the road.
Keeping in mind i can buy a junked car with digi or whatever for a couple hundred bucks so the cost is not a huge factor.

·
Registered
20,933 Posts

THEN YES!!! Tuning a car on digi and getting the motor running on EFI is great before going F/I. You really seem interested about this so you need to check out the forced induction forum in the technical section. You will see people in there that dream about fuel maps and compression tables. IT'S GREAT!
Later,
Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.