VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was checking my coolant level and the engine was running, i smell gas and hear a sizzling splash on my exhaust manifold, OH GOO!! its gas, seems to be coming from the seam in the middle of the fuel pressure regulator, could someone please tell me:
1. why it costs 49.99
2.what the purpose of the thing is.
3.Does the fuel pump run at 1 specified speed, or does it vary with engine load and speed
4. whats the purpose of the return line in the fuel system
If you could be so kind to spare the time to teach a lil' boy how stuff works , i would be very appreciative http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: Fuel pressure regulator , WOW! (vokalwagen87)

I think it delivers the "correct" (based on load) amount of fuel to the injectors and returns excess fuel back to the tank. The fuel pump sometimes (idle, start-up, downshift, etc.) delivers more fuel than the injectors require. So the regulator dumps excess back into the tank.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Re: Fuel pressure regulator , WOW! (WVWLP7V)

The regulator does just what it says. It regulates fuel pressure, most VWs come with 3bar FPRs, other wise 44.1 PSI. There is a constant flow in the fuel rail. The injectors take what they need and the excess gets sent through the return line back to the tank. Why it costs so much, because they don't tend to go bad too often. The more often a part goes bad, the cheaper it costs.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re: Fuel pressure regulator , WOW! (GTI RB)

quote:[HR][/HR]The regulator does just what it says. It regulates fuel pressure, most VWs come with 3bar FPRs, other wise 44.1 PSI[HR][/HR]​
I know I pulled this one outta the archives, but I have a question about this. My digi has a regulator right??? Is there any way I can tweek with this to halp it run richer, cause it's running so lean right now with my cam set-up etc. Do they slowly start to die down??? Can I buy an aftermarket one? Anything like that? If no then what can I do to richen my fuel mixture up. TIA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts