VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently did my timing belt job and everything looks on point with the belt. BUT when I put it all back together the marking on the fuel send and receiving lines were mixed up and I tried starting her up. Did it a couple of times and then went online to look at pics for reference and i saw that they were mixed up. So I put it all on the right way and tried starting her up, there was a little hesitation and some back fire but she started up. Let it run for around 5 minutes then went on a small drive to see how it felt and it felt good (about 1 mile). Got back to the house shut it off and then it was downhill from there.
Question :
Could it be the fuel pump that i messed up?
What problems would happen when doing the mistake i did?
(mixed up the lines)
Could I have messed up the fuel injectors some how?

Problems:
Backfires (really loud)
car will start on cold start and shut off after about minute and a half
After that it takes a whlie for it to kick on but it eventually will. and then i rev it up to about 3k rpms and it holds for seconds then cuts right off

The car primes when the key is turned.
Any input would be great, THANK YOU

Modified by JRVDuBMK4 at 8:55 AM 3-22-2010

· Banned
53,535 Posts
Re: FUEL PROBLEMS!? Needing help (JRVDuBMK4)

JRVDuBMK4....What problems would happen when doing the mistake i did? (mixed up the lines)......[/QUOTE said:
It is possible the check valve in the pump would be damaged with the lines reversed.
From Bentley on the Fuel Delivery Unit on top of the fuel tank. "For gasoline engine cars, the fuel delivery unit includes the fuel pump, the fuel gauge sending unit and the fuel pump check valve "
Try replacing the Fuel Delivery Unit (including the check valve).
Also, the reversed flow could make a mess of the fuel filter.
Try replacing the Fuel Filter.
Timing belt replacement requires fuel line disconnection? Not according to the Bentley Service Manual. Section 15d, starting on 15d-18.

· Banned
53,535 Posts
Re: (JRVDuBMK4)

Quote, originally posted by JRVDuBMK4 »
it didnt require it... but disconnecting it and moving it out of the way made it easier

In the words of Dr. Phil, "How's that working for you......?

· Registered
3,753 Posts
FV-QR

are you -sure- the cam is lined up with crank TDC, it is rather easy to be one tooth off when getting a new belt on, usually takes me 1-2 tries before i get the right cam tooth. line up the flywheel mark and double check the cam gear.

· Banned
53,535 Posts
Re: FV-QR (KG18t)

Quote, originally posted by KG18t »
are you -sure- the cam is lined up with crank TDC, ....

"....but she started up. Let it run for around 5 minutes then went on a small drive to see how it felt and it felt good (about 1 mile). Got back to the house shut it off.... "
Would seem unlikely the engine would feel good in the test drive if the valve timing was off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.