VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, jumped into the jetta terd this morning and it wouldnt not start... just cranks and cranks over but nothing happens. then i notice that i dont hear the fuel pump making its fuel pump sound when i first turn the sgnition to 'on'... well the po told me that he thinks it needs a fuel pump but didnt want to spend the time or money to put it in, he did buy one though. the car runs and starts fine with the exception of this morning.
so heres the question. think its the fuel pump relay or the fuel pump itself?? i know the transfer pump is either fine or completely shot because i dont hear any whining coming from it at all. i actually dont hear any abmormal sounds from that region at all.
so... any thoughts??
-j

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i forgot, nobody looks at a post unless theres a pic...

-j

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Re: (Muffler Bearing)

just jump the fuel pump relay. if the car runs you know it is your relay if it doesnt then you know it isnt the relay

·
Registered
10,616 Posts

I think there's a procedure to jump the terminals on the fuse box in place of the relay to test the pump. I'm not sure if that controls the in-tank pump though. Have you looked at the fuses?

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fuses are all fine, and the car starts now... so it not the pump im guessing. think the relay is on the road to death...
-j

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone know which terminals i need to jump ?? which ones does the relay control???
-j

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

well, little update. got a new relay, wouldnt start... no power to the fuel pump. new ignition switch, no power to the fuel pump. by the time i got this it was getting dark so i figured i had but one option left... ghetto it.
lucky for me the p/o left a whole bunch of wires from his stereo and alarm "install"so far ive filled and thrown away a while shoebox of this crap but had just enough left along with a fuse to hardwire the pump and get me home.
so, heres the thing, both pumps work killer, anyone have any ideas what could be keeping power from getting to the pump?? power gets to the fuel level guage but not to the pump... im stumped...
-j
and a pic for ****s and giggles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts