VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just returning back to VWs, I have experience with the older generations and have had numerous mk2s. They have all either been swapped or digi cars though. I purchased an 88 Cabby for 300$ in April, the guy and shop couldn't get it to run, turns out it was out of gas (I knew this because my last mk2 always had an "off" gas gauge). So I've been running this car for the past few weeks and noticed that under hard acceleration it would miss. Then it started to not wanting to start up again after it was warm. Any suggestions? My ITB project could donate the digi2 swap but I just don't feel like getting into that. I'm really a CIS newb and the FAQs here in this forum are pretty broken. I can hear the fuel pump turn on, the relay is clicking, fuse is good, and today I replaced the fuel filter, checked the O2 sensor, what's my next move? Any input is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Classic signs of an in-tank fuel pump that has failed. I rarely recommend changing parts without testing them first, but in this case, it's just good medicine to put a new one in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Figured i'd update this in case anyone else runs into this issue, pulled the fuel pump, took it to my bench, took the air hose to it, it was full of rust. So the in-tank was definitely the issue. :thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts