VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my pump has gone out on my 89 Jetta. It cranked fine yesterday but today after going thru the wiring for the radiator fan switch it wont start. None of the wires in that circuit should be for the pump..right?? I went thru each wire one by one so not to get any mixed up....so it cant be that.
I tried testing the pump and relay like the "sucky" Haynes manual shows but theres conflicting info in it as to which fuse box I have. My VIN shows the car is German..VWV.... but my fuse box looks like the Mexican one...and the relays dont match up to either one.
Could somebody post a scan of my fusebox out of a Bentley manual so I can figure it out? I have a Bentley ordered...just hasnt got here yet

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Fuel pump question (Zekes89Jetta)

I think I found the right relay for the pump but when I bridge the terminals it doesnt buzz....it clicks...like maybe the pump is stuck. I had my wife jump the terminals while I was under the car and the clicking is coming from the box beside of the fuel filter.
If one of the pumps has gone bad...how do you tell which one...isnt there 2?

·
Registered
6,046 Posts

Yeah, there are 2, one in the tank(transfer pump), and the one you're looking at it's in the fuel pump housing, fuel filter on the exhaust side. There's an electrical connector on top of the fuel pump, pull it and check for voltage as you jump the relay then check with the relay installed.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Zekes89Jetta »
I think I found the right relay for the pump but when I bridge the terminals it doesnt buzz....it clicks...like maybe the pump is stuck. I had my wife jump the terminals while I was under the car and the clicking is coming from the box beside of the fuel filter.

that would be the main pump, and if it's clicking, it's dead. that's the motor starting to spin and failing. Best price I found was http://www.germanautoparts.com for $180 brand new OEM. You can get remans that are a quarter as good for three quarters that price, and replace em every year, or you can get a new OEM and it'll probably last as long as that original one, which is likely over 12 years old. It probably died because the transfer pump in the tank isn't working right either, so spend the 40 bucks or so getting one of those, too.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Fuel pump question (negativl)

Thanks man. I have found a couple of parts cars here in NC that Im going to go the "quick fix" route with. Gonna have to save up for new pumps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts