VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question on fuel pumps....
Is it possible to change fuel pump from below the car - rather then the access panel in the trunk/backseat?!? Drop the gas tank etc....?!?!?!
This might have to done because I have a large audio system that cannot be removed...

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (HCClubPrez)

(Average Vortexer)
"HHmm - Whats in the mk3 section today. Let me see - pic posts - pic posts - check out my rims - turbo or supercharge - 2.0 to vr6 swap - which exhaust - fuel pump.....fuel pump
..that idiot actually thinks we know crap about fuel pumps?!? LOL - hhmm - pic posts - pic posts........."

·
Banned
11,102 Posts

first off, ignore the yellow circle in this pic, i used it for something else.......

double check your count of fuel pumps, i believe your car has 2 of them. maybe i am out of my mind today, but, yup, two. if you look in this picture, you will see the spare tire well, and the black gas tank, then on the right side of the picture, tucked in behind the gas tank is what looks like a soda can, there my friend is one of your fuel pumps. look at this guy before trying to drop your tank, that is a pain in the neck.
ps, you can keep all these questions in your first post, not that i care, but the guys on this forum will eat you alive. just an fyi.

Modified by mikemcnair at 4:33 PM 4-24-2006

Modified by mikemcnair at 4:34 PM 4-24-2006

Modified by mikemcnair at 4:35 PM 4-24-2006

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (mikemcnair)

Thanks Mike - I think your the only person that can answer these damn questions!! Or noone cares

So I have one like in the picture above and another above the tank? Didn't know that - I'll check and see if I can hear both kicking in!

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Fallacy)

I changed my fuel filter late last year - prolly 5k on it. But I thought the fuel filter was under the passenger front - not rear?!? Anyone know what the hell they are talking about???

·
Registered
120 Posts

The fuel filter is in the rear pass side of the car (under), the fuel pump is in your gas tank and you only have 1 unless you add a in-line fuel pump. here is a pic of the filter next to a walbro in-line fuel pump

Modified by Manolo. at 2:00 PM 4-24-2006

·
Registered
125 Posts
changed the fuel filter two weeks ago, it's located on the pass. side in the rear of the car. As for the pump i believe you could drop the tank like anything else but you would be doing a lot of extra work, more so then taking out the stereo.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (azerite)

Quote, originally posted by azerite »
As for the pump i believe you could drop the tank like anything else but you would be doing a lot of extra work, more so then taking out the stereo.

Ya think....

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Moe Sizlack)

Quote, originally posted by Moe Sizlack »

the fuel pump is only accessable thru the hatch/trunk.

Are you 100000000% positive it can ONLY be accessed from above - cause that would suck....

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Moe Sizlack)

I'm fine with dropping the tank - it easier then redoing the countless hours doing the audio install... Anyone know of an inline for a decent price??

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dude, drop your tank. Don't even think twice. With that stereo (which kicks ass BTW) it will be a bunch easier to take the tank. Word to the wise. Read up some, then read up some more. I helped my buddy on his Vanagon and we ended up dropping it with stuff still attached! "dude, do you smell gas?" It will really help if you can get your car in the air and get some helpers.
Good luck.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.