VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 gti 16v and it seems like when i have a good amount of gas in the car, it bucks alot.. over bumps to.. when gas is low, car runs really good.. any idea on if it is my fuel pumps and if it could be both or any? ive checked my hall sender and ignition coil, and they passed the tests with the LED test light. also checked my distributor cap and wires and those are fine also.. the last thing in mind would be the pumps, and ive heard that 16v's have problems with there pumps
_______

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: Fuel Pumps shot? (9)

As a rule, the main pump is fine as long as it still can be heard working. If it seems louder lately, it's probably because the transfer(in-tank) pump is dead or dying. The main pump is basically working harder, and can't do the job of two pumps - Even with a full tank it acts like it's starving. Remove the access cover to the tank and put your fingertips on top of the sender unit in the tank. Have a buddy key the ignition, so the lights come on & the pumps pressurize. If you can feel vibration(ignore the main pump's noise), the transfer pump is working. If not, call Adirondack at 1-877-4-GERMAN(or check out http://www.germanautoparts.com). They have German-made Pierburg transfer pumps for $57. I hope this helps; I hate seein' a good 16V go bad.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Fuel Pumps shot? (maximus_manx)

It seems like the outside fuel pump is alot louder then it was.. so maybe that is it.. i will do the check with the vibration tomorrow, and tell u from there.. its very intermittent buck, kind of kills my mounts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

now it bucks when i go over bumps. i purposely let off the gas to see what happens and when i do and i go over a bump, my rpms rise to 1300-1500. does this have to do somethign with fuel pressure? is my intank not able to get it to the transfer pump, and when it goes over bumps the pump motor is not strong enough which then raises the fuel pressure and causes my car to buck? i am anything near what i think it is or am i just babbling?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ok, well i found the problem. It was my throttle position switch.. my idle was sticking and making the car buck.

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,255 Posts
Re: Fuel Pumps shot? (maximus_manx)

quote:[HR][/HR]Hey - At least you didn't get gas-soaked fixing it, right? There's always a good way to look at a car fix.
[HR][/HR]​
yeah definitely, i never knew that gas burns when it gets in your cuts...until i changed my pump.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Re: Fuel Pumps shot? (3WheelGTi)

That's just one of those life experiences you can't describe; people have to find out in person. Also, anyone slse here ever notice you don't wash off the smell of gas? It goes away when it's ready.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts