VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so the other day i went to go start my car turn the key and noticed my pumps weren't priming. i figured it was the relay so i grab 2 other relays from old cars i had parted and get nothing from them. so i jump the terminals with a piece of wire and the pumps turn on so i was happy that it wasn't the pumps that went. so i go to my local foreign auto parts store and get a new relay throw that in and nothing pumps don't prime. so then i was puzzled and take an old relay apart and tape the switch shut and that works. so right now i have a wire jumping the terminals with a switch in it to turn the pumps on and off. can anybody point me in the right direction on what to check im really puzzled.

old pic for views

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: fuel relay problem!!! (dkashbmx)

take a piece of wire put a male connector on both sides. put one on the number 30 terminal and one in the 86 terminal in the relay spot in the fusebox and your pumps should run if they are good.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Re: fuel relay problem!!! (85mkIIGOLF)

Well one way or another it sounds like you're not getting either voltage or ground to the other circuit in the relay. Was it acting up at all before the ignition switch was replaced?

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
FV-QR

i had that problem with mine a while back. the relay wouldnt do anything, but if you jumped it, it worked great. the fuse block ended up being junk.
try grounding the really thing pin (not sure the number) and then installing the relay, i bet it works!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: fuel relay problem!!! (South_East_Vintage)

Quote, originally posted by South_East_Vintage »
Was it acting up at all before the ignition switch was replaced?

yes on and off thats why i changed it thought maybe it was the problem. since it was on and off i guess the idea of it being a ground problem makes sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.